SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Bernier Nicole F." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:04:40 -0500
Here is a comment on the Whitehead model. Her implicit assumption is a rational-actor model of policy-making: decision-makers become aware of a new problem (get new data) and decide to do something or not. It is established knowledge in Policy studies that a policy-process is not linear, starting with the measurement of a problem and finishing with a comprehensive policy (or not). A policy-process is iterative. Policy-makers operate in a 'policy environment', comprising several policy actors, administrative, financial and political constraints. 'New' policy is, more often than not, incremental: it builds on existing arrangements, administrative traditions and state capacities. Policy-makers do not seek to find the best possible solution to a problem (a comprehensive new policy that addresses the problem) but a solution that will be good enough and that will require minimal change to the existing set of arrangements.
        It is time we explore the implications, for political strategies used in public health, of such a widely-shared, but totally wrong assumption about the policy process.

Nicole F. Bernier, PhD
Politologue / Political Scientist
Département de médecine sociale et préventive
Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128, Succ. CV
Montréal (Québec)  H3C 3J7
Téléphone (514) 343-6135