CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:53:14 -0500
The free online course on Health Promotion is described in the
Ontario Health Promotion Email Bulletin (OHPE)#403 available at
http://www.ohpe.ca/ebulletin/feature.cfm. Check it out!

If you use it, we would like to hear back from you. CANCHID ListAdmin

Health Promotion 101
http://www.ohprs.ca/hp101/main.htm

"The Ontario Health Promotion Resource System (OHPRS) is a network of
organizations or programs that support health promoters across Ontario.
The OHPRS developed this  free course, "Health Promotion 101," as a
collaborative effort between our 22 member organizations with funding from
the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
The OHPRS' role is to support health promoters in Ontario....We chose to
create the course in a stand-alone online format to help maximize its
accessibility. We recognize that many of our members' clients find it
difficult to travel to scheduled, face-to-face events or simply prefer
alternative methods of learning. We hope that by making these materials
available online, with no registration required, people will find
innovative ways to use them to support their health promotion work." [from
the website]

We chose to create the course in a stand-alone online format to help
maximize its availability. Our survey data support our intuition that many
people find it difficult to travel to scheduled face-to-face events or
simply prefer alternative methods of learning. We imagine the audience for
HP101 to be practicing health promoters (whether they identify themselves
as such or not), primarily in Ontario. They may be new to the field--just
beginning their career or moving into health promotion from another
career--or they may be more experienced health promoters seeking a
refresher.

Instructional Approach

HP101 offers training and capacity building in health promotion using a
distributed learning self-study approach. Learning is self-directed. While
the course modules do follow a linear progression, they are designed so
that each module can be worked through independently of the other modules.
Learners can choose to spend their time on the aspects of the course on
which they prefer to focus.

Self-study assignments focus on case study methodology and have a
practical, work-related focus. Learners are expected to try out, model,
consider and implement the ideas, concepts, and methods learned in the
modules.

Experienced facilitators can deliver or build on the learning modules to
in a face-to-face setting. As well, the modules are designed so that the
course could be easily transformed into a for-credit course, where
learner-to-learner and learner-to-instructor interaction can take place.