CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 10:27:18 -0400
Synergy Online – May 2005

Also available on the web: http://www.csih.org/synergy/synergy.html

In this issue:

*      Help CIDA on a health program in Haiti

*      12th Annual CCIH Conference is looking for Abstracts

*      SOGC’s International Women’s Health Symposium

*      Ontario Women’s Health Council Call for Proposals

*      Aboriginal Policy Research Conference

*      Call for Papers on Global Health

~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

Help CIDA on a health program in Haiti

CIDA is concluding a planning exercise for a Health Program in Haiti

(HPH) and the result of that exercise is presented in a policy framework document. The framework is intended to guide CIDA’s programming choices and, ultimately, Canada’s activities in the Health sector in Haiti over the next 10 years. An online consultation is being launched to obtain the views of the public, and in particular of the Haitian and Canadian partners, on the policy framework for the future HPH.  We invite you to consult the document by clicking here http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/cidaweb/webcountry.nsf/VLUDocEn/Haiti-Consultations and provide us with your comments. The consultation will run from May 13 to June 3, 2005.

12th Annual CCIH Conference is looking for Abstracts

The 12th Annual Canadian Conference on International Health, hosted by the Canadian Society for International Health (CSIH) is currently accepting abstracts for its annual conference from November 6-9th, 2005 in Ottawa Canada. This year’s theme is: “YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE: HEALTH IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY.” Market-driven policies are dominating and guiding the global economy, reshaping our environment and impacting our health. Since the early 1980s, international health theories and practices have been strongly influenced by the neo-liberal agenda. The time has arrived, we believe, to pause and reflect on the lessons learned at the global, national, and local levels over the past quarter of a century. Are we moving in the right direction? What results have we achieved in terms of reduced poverty, increased equity of opportunity and improved health status? Is a course correction in order?  Please join us to discuss these important issues. Deadline for receipt of abstracts is: May 31st, 2005 Registration for the conference will begin shortly on-line. For any additional questions, please visit our website at www.csih.org/conferences

SOGC’s International Women’s Health Symposium

Thursday, June 16, 2005, 8:00am-6:00pm Hilton Québec, 1100 Réné Lévesque Blvd., Quebec City. Every year, within our annual clinical meeting, the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC)  holds an International Women’s Health Symposium.  This specific one day event provides a forum for SOGC members, volunteers and other Canadian health professionals and NGO representatives to share information and discuss issues related to Safe Motherhood and Newborn Health in developing countries.  This year’s symposium will highlight the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and the window of opportunity they provide to reduce maternal and child mortality.  The speakers will include Margaret Kruk, Policy Advisor for Health at the Millennium Project Secretariat   and Stephen Lewis, the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa. For more information, please contact the Society’s National Office (613) 730-4192 ext. 267 or by email at [log in to unmask]

Ontario Women's Health Council Call for Proposals

This Call for Proposals seeks researchers interested in developing an information base on Ontario women and depression upon which council can base future initiatives addressing equitable access to care.  The Ontario Women's Health Council was established in 1998 by the Ontario Minister of Health and Long-Term Care with the objective of improving women's health at all stages of life.  In the fall of 2004, as part of its contribution to a Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care "Depression Strategy", the council conducted a limited environmental scan and literature review highlighting the importance of incorporating a focus on women in the development and implementation of any strategy on depression.  Since this time, council has identified the need for a more comprehensive information base upon which to base future initiatives related to access to mental health services. Submissions to this Call for Proposals must be received by the Ontario Women's Health Council Secretariat by 5:00 p.m. on July 15, 2005.  Please contact Judy Fiddes, Ontario Women's Health Council Secretariat by Fax at (416) 327-3200; or e-mail at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> , or check the Ontario Women’s Health Council website at www.womenshealthcouncil.com <http://www.womenshealthcouncil.com/> .

Aboriginal Policy Research Conference

The Second Tri-Annual Aboriginal Policy Research Conference Relationships on Policy, Research, and Results will take place March 21-24, 2006.  The Conference is sponsored by the University of Western Ontario, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development and the National Association of Friendship Centres. Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal scholars and researchers are invited to submit a short abstract by September 1, 2005. For  those selected , the complete papers will be due by February 1, 2006. There is a special call for Graduate student papers. Please send submissions to Jerry P. White, at the University of Western Ontario ([log in to unmask]). For more information about the conference and a list of possible paper session themes, please go to www.ssc.uwo.ca/sociology/aprc‑crmpa/. We welcome submissions on topics not listed on the website.

Call for Papers on Global Health

The January/February 2006 issue of the Canadian Journal of Public Health will focus on global health.  We are inviting authors to submit original research articles (such as intervention studies, systematic reviews, or surveys), program descriptions and commentaries on topics addressing global and international health. These submissions will go through the regular peer review process. For more information on submission requirements, please see our Information for Authors at: http://www.cpha.ca/english/cjph/stylreq/style.htm <http://www.______%20> . All manuscripts should be submitted by June 15, 2005. If you have any questions or require further information on this Global Health issue of the journal, please contact the CJPH Editorial Office by e-mail at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> , or by phone at: (613) 725-3769, ext. 179.