From:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:06:47 -0400
Today the Globe & Mail newspaper (G&M) published another article by André
Picard in a series where he looks at health promotion and the determinants
of health. Titled "Bring on the duelling Top-10s: Two lists not to die for",
Picard compares an example list of 'tips for better living' or lifestyle,
and comments that the factors that have the greatest impact are out of the
control of individuals. He goes on to the Top 10 list from Joan Wharf
Higgins of U. of Victoria, that rephrase the determinants of health as tips
for healthy living (don't be poor, pick your parents well, learn to make
friends), that are much more difficult goals to reach.

..."knowing more about the underlying factors influencing our health does
not discredit healthy living or absolve people of personal responsibility.
Rather, we should be empowered knowing the social, economic and political
choices we make can influence our health, and the health of the
population...."

Picard concludes by saying that we need to have "an equal or greater
dedication [than promotion of healthy lifestyles] to creating a society in
which we have the opportunity to make healthy choices."

Find it in today's Globe & Mail (only available until October 7th) at the
long URL as follows:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040930/HPIC
ARD30/TPHealth/
or at this shortened one:
http://tinyurl.com/55z4s

Alison Stirling
co-facilitator, CLICK4HP health promotion listserv
[log in to unmask]  OR  [log in to unmask]
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html