From:
Holly MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:19:51 -0400
Job Posting
Cancer Control Advocacy Coordinator

Position Type: Permanent Full Time                      Date Ad Posted:  March 30,2005
Job Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia                      Application Deadline: April 12, 2005

Creating a world where no Nova Scotian fears cancer.  That’s our vision and
together, we can make it happen.  Join our team of dedicated volunteers and
staff to help us reach our goals.

Reporting to the Director of Cancer Control Programs, you will be
responsible for designing and mobilizing our cancer control advocacy
initiatives.  To advance our advocacy efforts, you will work collaboratively
with our Executive Director, CCS Provincial Prevention, Supportive Care and
Communications colleagues, Provincial Health Partners and CCS National
Advocacy Staff. You will conduct background research, monitor and analyzes
current and emerging cancer control issues; including healthy public
policies, benchmark successful advocacy practices, prepare briefing
documents and reports, contribute to the development of press releases and
coordinate media and public education events. You will create tools,
strategies and communication mechanisms to support CCS Volunteers throughout
Nova Scotia.

You have sound judgement and experience lobbying government officials and
community leaders.  You have solid experience building relationships with
colleagues, volunteers, and community partners.  Your undergraduate and/or
graduate education in political science, health promotion or a related
discipline is complemented by exceptional interpersonal, organizational,
presentation, writing and community development skills.

Key Competencies:
·       Demonstrated ability to develop and mobilize advocacy initiatives
·       Ability to proactively identify and thoroughly research cancer control
issues to capitalize on opportunities to advocate for healthy public policy.
·       A strong communicator, articulate with well-developed oral and written
skills
·       Demonstrated community development experience working with Volunteers and
local partners
·       Ability to work independently and collaboratively
·       Enjoy multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment with proven ability to
manage multiple priorities.
·       Understanding of government and the health care system

Some travel and flexibility to work evenings and weekends may be required.

You are invited to send your resume and three work related references to:
Canadian Cancer Society—Nova Scotia Division
5826 South Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia   B3H 1S6
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.cancer.ca

Deadline for submissions: 4:00 pm, Tuesday April 12, 2005
We thank you in advance for your interest in the Canadian Cancer Society –
Nova Scotia Division.  Only those applicants selected for an interview will
be contacted.  No phone calls, please.

The Canadian Cancer Society is a non-smoking work environment and provides
equal opportunity in employment.

Holly MacIntyre
Health Promotion Coordinator
Canadian Cancer Society - Nova Scotia Division
5826 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Direct Tel: (902) 423-5373, ext. 232
Toll Free: 1-800-639-0222
Phone: (902)-423-6183
Fax: (902) 429-6563
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.cancer.ca

Questions About Cancer?
Call the Canadian Cancer Society's toll-free Cancer Information Service
1-888-939-3333

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone
other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the
sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information
contained in this e-mail may not be that of the organization.