Sender:
From:
Joseph Jewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:35:01 +1000
I'm currently working on a new program exploring multicultural health.

Ideally the program will bring together a multidisciplinary team
consisting of bilingual counselors, community development workers and
health promotion staff to work closely with ethnic communities.

The aim of the program will be to develop strategies which facilitate
ethnic minority access to mainstream health services while also
developing the capacity of these communities to develop and provide
preventative programs.

A particular focus of the team will be to develop social capital by
fostering community control over the determinants of health. The
literature I have sourced to date has emphasized issues of psychological
and emotional well being related to the pressures of resettlement,
social isolation and cross cultural integration.

Any help/guidance you could provide in locating literature documenting
models of best practice (particularly multidisciplinary teams) would be
greatly appreciated.

JJ