Sender:
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:44:53 -0800
7bit
From:
Jodi:

The Northern Diabetes Prevention Coalition (northern Saskatchewan) has put
out a Nutrition Guidelines for Schools and another for Rink and Recreation
Centres.  In the one for schools they state

"school policy would stress "nutritious foods first" or "only nutritious
foods" for:

classrooms -through food experiences, food sampling, celebrations
schools - in beverage machines, nutrition, snack and/or milk programs,
canteens, cafeteria, fund raisers
school community functions - field trips, recreation activities, school
performances etc.

I have a copy of this that someone gave me recently.  If you are interested
I could find out where to get it.

Frankly I think we should all be concerned about this issue.  I sit on our
local school parent advisory committee and school planning council and the
amount of income being generated through bingo and corporate sponsorship and
corporate exclusivity contracts is slowly but surely becoming an income
source with influence in the schools.  And then there are the health issues
involved.

Sandra Marquis