Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:10:22 -0600
8bit
From:
Roxanne Felix <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Everyone:

There were a number of people who said they were interested in some of the key
resources which I found helpful, so I will post them to everyone.

1)	Literature review on hard to reach populations – done in January 2004

www.thcu.ca/infoandresources/LitReviews.htm

2)	Certain Circumstances - Equity in and Responsiveness of the Health
Care System to the Needs of Minority and Marginalized Populations: A
Collection of Papers and Reports Prepared for Health Canada. This publication
includes nine papers prepared during 2000 and 2001.  Among the topics
presented are: access to health care; language interpretation in health care
settings, cultural competence, and  barriers to health care for specific
populations (for example, black and Caribbean communities, and gay, lesbian,
bisexual, and two spirited communities).
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/healthcare/equity/index.html
(helpful for its definition of equity and access and broad range of diversity)
I was told this was available on the net, but not sure where. I do have a copy
and can email electronically. If you are interested, please email me directly.

3)  Ontario Health Communities Coalition: Inclusive Community Organizations: A
toolkit to assist community organization become more equitable, diverse and
inclusive.
www.healthycommunities.on.ca/projects/diversityandinclusion/index.html

3)	An Inclusion Lens: Workbook for Looking at Social and Economic
Exclusion and Inclusion

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/canada/regions/atlantic/pdf/inclusion_lens-E.pdf

(A French version is also available)

4)	Anderson, L.M., Scrimshaw, S. Fullilove, M.T., Fielding, J., Normand,
N. “Culturally Competent Healthcare Systems: A Systematic Review”. Am J Prev
Med 2003; 24 (3s) 68-79. (Article is basis for summary sheet on
www.thecommunityguide.org/social )

5)	National Center for Cultural Competency

http://gucchd.georgetown.edu/nccc/

Two helpful resources for health promotion practitioners:
A guide to choosing and adapting culturally and linguistically competent
health promotion materials
(new!) – Infusing cultural and linguistic competence into health promotion
training

6)	A nice summary of some cultural competency guides produced in Alberta
(this is more for clinical work rather than health promotion)

http://www.sacyhn.ca/pages/publications.html
7) Textbook: Promoting Health in Multicultural Populations – A Handbook for
Practitioners. Robert M. Huff and Michael V. Kline. Sage Publications:
Thousand Oaks.