Sender:
From:
Judy Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:45:16 -0600
JUNE 2005 ISSUE OF WELLSPRING

1. What's in this issue?

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

------------------------------

1. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE?

Feature article: “Canada on the Move: Innovation in Research, Evaluation,
and Partnership,” by Adria Rose, Director of Partnerships for Canada on the
Move, Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Canadian Institutes
of Health Research.
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html

Canada on the Move is a web-based research platform designed to collect
information about Canadians' physical activity levels. Find out how Canada
on the Move is expanding its mandate as a research, evaluation, and
partnership tool.

Commentary: “Walk this Way: At the Intersection of Information and
Promotion,” by Catrine Tudor Locke, Arizona State University.
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html

--------------------------------------

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

a. Centre Director Co-Chair of the Alberta Healthy Living Network (AHLN)
Judith Moodie was recently named co-chair of the AHLN. The AHLN is a
coalition of Alberta health-promotion groups whose mission is to provide
“leadership for collaborative action to promote health and prevent chronic
disease in Alberta.”  For more information on the AHLN, visit
www.health-in-action.org/content.asp?catid=37&rootid=7.

b. E-Bulletin
The centre produces a regular e-bulletin to update clients and stakeholders
about what's coming up for the centre and its staff. Find out about our
upcoming activities at www.centre4activeliving.ca/new.html.

c. Our New and Improved Web Site (www.centre4activeliving.ca)
The centre's web site has extensive information on physical activity, both
our own information and links to resources from other organizations.
Examples of topics include workplace, children and youth, older adults,
chronic disease prevention, and pedometers and walking. We're redesigning
our web site to make all of this information easier to find. Watch for the
launch of our new web site this fall!

d. Health Aging Community Workshops
The Alberta Centre for Active Living is offering educational workshops on
older adult physical activity and healthy eating across Alberta in
partnership with Alberta Regional Health Authorities. For more information,
visit www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/Workshops.pdf.

e. Resources from the Canadian Health Network (CHN)
Visit CHN Active Living (go to www.canadian-health-network.ca and click on
the Active Living topic). You’ll find featured resources in the highlight
box and key resources section. Try some of our quick searches (e.g., active
living and diabetes) in English or French. If there are any other quick
searches you would like to see, please contact [log in to unmask]

f. Public Health Goals
Here is a chance to help set health goals for all of Canada. All levels of
government have agreed that Canada needs clearly defined health goals that
we can all believe in and work towards. This is your opportunity to get
involved and give your opinion. For more information, visit
www.healthycanadians.ca where you can learn more about the process and
provide your input.

g. Alberta Breaks World Record!
On Alberta Challenge Day (May 26, 2005), over 79,000 Albertans walked into
the Guinness Book of World Records for the most people walking one kilometre
at the same time. This challenge was part of SummerActive, a national
health-promotion campaign sponsored in Alberta by Alberta Community
Development and the Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks and Wildlife Foundation
(www.summeractive.canoe.ca).

----------------------

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
(In office Mon., Tues., Wed., and Fri.)
Tel.: 780 415-6248
www.centre4activeliving.ca

If you have received this message more than once, we apologise. We try to
distribute our information as widely as possible. As we send out through a
variety of distribution networks, some of you may receive this message more
than once. If you would like to unsubscribe from our mailing list, please
contact Margaret Burns at [log in to unmask]