Sender:
From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 22:17:37 -0400
My associate Daphne Moldowin and I will be in Toronto April 11 to 14, for
the Community-Campus Partnerships for Health conference "Mobilizing
Partnerships for Social Change" (see link below).

Our workshop "Honouring the Margins: Their knowledge, praxis and realities,"
is scheduled for 10:30am, April 13th. Weaving its three topics together is
the issue of respect: how it is manifested in legislation and how it
determines who and what gets funded. We also will be leading a roundtable
discussion the morning of the 14th, which will center around the question:
"How can people in poverty be supported in becoming activists and their own
advocates?"

We hope that interested Toronto-area subscribers will be able to attend the
conference.

The fees are quite stiff, particularly for people on low income. However,
the conference organizers were calling for student volunteers awhile back.
Don't know if they still need help, but interested students should contact
the organizers to see if there's a chance of being included. Also, it's my
understanding that search efforts continue to find sponsors, so that as many
people who want to attend might do so. (Daphne and I could never have
participated had we not received a subsidy, for which we are grateful.)

Whether you are able to attend the conference or not, if you are one of our
Toronto listserv friends (or not) and able to get to the conference location
- Hilton Toronto, Richmond & University -, we'd be delighted to meet you in
person, conference schedule permitting.

Ocean, WISE Coordinator
http://www.wise-bc.org/

Conference info: