Sender:
From:
Richard Boehnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 06:04:35 -0500
When a nation as influential as France declines to participate in an
international understanding such as MAI it is heartening because most of
us perceive MAI as a power increase for the multi-national corporations
... and we are correct in that ..... and we should be pleased France
said, "Non"!

However, the non-participation is based upon their (along with all the
others) being persuaded that it is not in their "national interest" ....
the very same rationale so frequently used when nations choose not to
enter international environmental treaties, especially those dealing with
the oceans or the qualities affecting shared air space.

A quick read of this week's "RACHEL" will illustrate the difficulty which
is caused ...

Richard Boehnke