From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:04:31 -0500
Tasha Kravchenko asked recently on this list:

I am looking into the use of comics as a tool [for HP] ...snip ... I know that there have been groups in New Zealand and
Australia, the Netherlands and San Francisco that have used these approaches however I am not sure that the technique has ever
been fully evaluated. Any info out there you want to share?
Thanks
Tasha

JM Dupont replies:

Tasha, You might want to consider contacting once again our friends at the National Department of Health here in Canada
(Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca). Jim Mintz (a director at the time in the Health Promotion Directorate - who I know is
still there "somewhere") several years ago was one of the first I knew of who used comic books as a "form" of social
marketing. I remember him negotiating some kind of agreement with the large American comic book company "Marvel" (I think it
was?) to obtain the rights of using SpiderMan at the time (what goes around comes around eh? ;-). Actually more than that, the
actual professional illustrators that did SpiderMan, created entire editions (that looked like the real thing) with drug-free
messages. Fascinating stuff. This goes back I'd say, at least 12 years or so. I'd contact Health Canada and ask about
evaluations done on this. I even remember them using the Toronto Blue Jays professional baseball team in the storylines too!
Boy this brings me back! Does this mean I'm getting old? :- (

Good luck,
JM
--
Visit the new AlderWeb