From:
Kim Cheeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:03:59 -0330
I concur completely -- when are people going to recognize that lifestyle alone is not the only determinant of health -- poverty, education and all the others have just as great an impact -- we are all talking about eating healthier but has anyone looked at the price of food these days -- some people cannot afford to change how they eat literally.

Kim Cheeks, Health Promotion Communication Consultant
Central Regional Integrated Health Authority
3 Bell Place, Gander,  NL  A1V 2T4
Tel: (709)651-6239  *  Fax: (709)651-3341
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/12/05 07:38PM >>>
Dennis Raphael's dialogue below, expresses my sentiments exactly.
Consider that the 'real' patients voices are not being heard and
because of this, more often than not, the message is not getting through
to policy makers. There are many who purport to speak on behalf of their
constituents, but actually have no actual insight into the daily
challenges that many face.  To add further, while healthy
lifestyles/behaviours affect many, it is not the panacea for all. As a
matter of fact, the healthy lifestyle message has moved beyond the
intended message and has become a burden to many.
A prime example is that of our cancer populations and I encourage
everyone to consider that, no, the patient did not receive a cancer
diagnosis due to weight issues, smoking or any of the current concepts
that add to the existing burden of trying to survive. This is less than
compassionate not to speak of a lack of understanding.
A broader recognition of all aspects of living/surviving is required in
order to understand the issues of the communities in which we live and work.
Sandi