From:
Robyn Kalda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:36:49 -0500
The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse invites you to register, before February 14, 2006, for:

Moving Upstream Together: Partnering for Ontario's Future Health and Well-Being

February 21-22, 2006

89 Chestnut, University of Toronto

www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/>

Spending your working hours running from one project or crisis to the next?

Tired of putting out fires?

No time or energy to reflect on the big picture?

Finally, on February 21 - 22, a conference that will help us take a collective step back to reflect on what's working...and what's not...in Ontario.

Whether you are in health promotion, social services, child development, community or public health, poverty, housing, education, inclusion, or disease prevention, we face a common challenge. We need to find ways to "move upstream" and prevent health and social problems before they happen.

This is more important now than ever!  The federal election on January 23 has shown that we must find new ways to talk about the big picture---and work together!

OPC is celebrating 20 years of putting health promotion into action.  Join us February 21 - 22 to celebrate this milestone anniversary and to plan the work we will need to undertake, as we move upstream together.

Highlights from this affordable and bilingual 2-day conference:

Keynote Address

Charles Pascal, Executive Director of the Atkinson Charitable Foundation, will speak about what Roy Romanow calls 'the mother of all policy tools': the new Canadian Index of Wellbeing. Come hear how the Index will help foster a common vision and contribute to social engagement and policy change to improve the quality of life for all Canadians.

OPC's 20th Anniversary Celebration Reception

A special evening event to honour 20 years of achievement in promoting health for all in Ontario.

Concurrent Dialogues

ˇ        Can we change the system? How?

ˇ        Where are the determinants of health?

ˇ        Breaking out of silos: The critical need for partnership

ˇ        Access alone is not enough: Solutions for Francophone communities

ˇ        How the private sector can help us paddle upstream

Roundtables

Designed as a conversation café, roundtables will identify winnable wins, do-able strategies and critical factors that lead to success. Examples of 'upstream' programs, projects and partnerships will inspire an open dialogue so that participants can take away key lessons.

Closing Plenary Address

Come hear panelists who are young, active and visionary. These bright lights of the future will share 'upstream', out of the box ideas about what we can all do to create social and policy commitments for prevention and health promotion.

Registration

Your voice is required! Break out of your silo! If you're an anti-poverty activist, come talk to a bank VP; if you're a child care worker, come talk to a senior bureaucrat; if you're a municipal councilor, come talk to an Aboriginal leader. We all have things to learn from each other. We all learn by doing. Let's do it February 21 - 22, 2006!

Don't delay, register today! Registration deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Please visit www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/>

Hotel and Travel Deals

Take advantage of great discounts by reserving your accommodation and travel arrangements with our conference partners - see the conference website for more details ( www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/> ).

Marketplace

We invite delegates to participate in the informal marketplace by bringing with printed material/giveaways showcasing their organizations, projects, and initiatives that support the conference theme of "Moving Upstream Together". For a list of table themes, please see the conference website ( www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/> ).

Subsidies

To ensure a broad representation from Ontario's diverse populations and large geographic area, limited funds are available to help offset conference registration, travel, and accommodation costs for conference attendees. Last date for form submission is February 3, 2006. - please see the conference website for more details and to request a subsidy ( www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/> ).

Contact Us:

 "Moving Upstream Together" Conference

c/o Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse

180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900, Toronto ON M5G 1Z8

Phone: 416.408.2249 ext 224 or 1.800.397.9567 ext 224

Fax: 416.408.2122

Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Website: www.opc.on.ca <http://www.opc.on.ca/>   (keep checking as all the exciting conference details unfold)