From:
David Gourlay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:25:55 PST
Dennis Raphael wrote-
They do not care!  Period.  For Alana and others to see these guys as
being misguided, or somehow uninformed, is naive at best, immoral at
worst.  For HP to lobby for "breakfast programs", a few crumbs to work
on healthy communities coaltions, and other such "health promotion
programs"  during this onslaught on the poor is not acceptable.  Sorry.
Get these guys out.  Period.

This is an interesting commentary.
If health promotion is not useful for breakfast programs or minor
initiatives, then it will be just as guilty as the actions of the
current government.

I don't believe anyone thinks that Klein or Harris are only misguided or
uninformed. Of course they aren't. Instead, they chose to address their
policy programs on the social field because of their ideology and yes,
Dennis, if we want to deal with this, then elect them out of office.
Absolutely..that is not the issue. The issue is the tone.

However, any party at a time when deficit cuts must be made would have
done the same thing and while it may not have been to the same degree,
political parties do not have a favourable track record of adhering to
their political and ideological bases. Just ask the federal Liberals and
the provincial NDP.

To suggest we are naive and immoral, Dennis, is very strong langauge and
I don't think as health promoters we are walking blindfolded. Perhaps we
like to employ diplomacy to our task in the hope it produces results. If
not, we will wait until the provincial election and vote them out.

David Gourlay