From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:08:17 -0500
Hello

Since I posted a couple of notes last week on CLICK4HP about the Health
Promotion Glossary, I have received several requests for assistance in
a) finding the Glossary at the WHO site; and
b) getting copies  - when Copyright issues are unclear, or when
downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader is not an option (no easy access to the
Internet, or organizational barriers to downloading)

One of the big problems with the Health Promotion Glossary is that it is
NOT easy to find at the World Health Organization's web-site.
- it is VERY hidden!!  Unfortunately it is not listed in "What's New",
in the press releases or even when trying the search engine.

It took me awhile but I finally found it at the Health Education &
Promotion section under HPR :
        http://www.who.ch/hpr/index.html

I went to the Glossary section and noted that the 26 page document is
stored as an Adobe Acrobat PDF file - http://www.who.ch/hpr/glossary/
It is 586K document so it takes a while to download and to store -
mostly because of the graphics.

If you have difficulty getting an Adobe Acrobat reader or downloading
from the Internet - then there is another problem because the glossary
cannot be easily sent by e-mail. The only way is to attach a PDF file,
which would clog up virtually any email system.
Faxing or snail mail of the document appears to be the other solution.
The WHO-HEP office has been overloaded with requests and has been unable
to send out copies via email or fax.  My own organization is only
mandated to serve organizations in the province of Ontario - which means
that I may not be able to fax copies to places outside of Ontario.  I
suggested that various health promotion organizations, such as the
Canadian Consortium of Health Promotion Research Centres, should take on
a distribution responsibility to ensure that the Glossary is as widely
shared as possible.  Hopefully, this will happen.

As to copyright issues
My colleague Simon Mielniczuk commented:
We do our best to filter and disseminate useful information and tools
for health promotion. Our own site (http://www.opc.on.ca) has numerous
documents in a variety of forms which we encourage others to read,
download, even adapt to their own purposes. Recently we pointed out the
WHO Health Promotion Glossary. Careful reading reveals that the
copyright notice, "...No part of this document may be stored in a
retrieval system or transmitted in any by any means electronic,
mechanical or other without the prior written permission of WHO.",
appears to work against the goal of dissemination. This appears to be a
standard notice found in many publications. It has always been difficult
to enforce. Once it is mounted in public web space, there can be no
enforcement. In most cases, all documents are stored at least
temporarily to a local drive. PDF files, such as the glossary have to be
downloaded in order to view.

Presumably we make these materials available in order to promote their
use and distribution. Don Forgie, the professor who introduced me to the
realities of electronic publishing, encouraged the use of a notice to '
.... please copy it right...' . Acknowledge the source of the document
and abide by the requests of its creator(s).
        A. Simon Mielniczuk - OPC-COIP / Innovaction

And when I informed Angela at WHO-HEP about the copyright concerns, she
responded:
As far as I understand we can and we want to disseminate the document.

When it comes to download the document from the website, I do not see
any
problem BUT, to stay on the safe side, we are waiting for the legal
advise that
will then be forwarded to you.

Angela
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All this to say - if you are really stuck and cannot download the Health
Promotion Glossary (which should be shared as widely as possible,
preferably in its complete form), please let me know and I will do my
best to get you a copy.

Regards,

Alison Stirling
Alison Stirling, co-facilitator, CLICK4HP
Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
Tel (416) 408-2121 ext 226 Fax (416) 408-2122
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.web.net/~stirling/