From:
Kim Cheeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:16:55 -0230
You need to contact Mark Seaton in the Thames Valley School Board in Ontario and speak to him about the Active School Program.  It integrates 20 minutes of qdpa into the daily curriculum of children on the days they do not have physical education classes.  We implemented a pilot project here in 5 schools in NL and it is catching on like crazy * it is simple to implement, crosses all cultrual and societal barriers and the teachers and children love it.

Kim Cheeks, Health Promotion/Communication Consultant
Health & Community Services Central
143 Bennett Drive, Gander,  NL  A1V 2E6
Tel: (709)651-6239  *  Fax: (709)651-3341
email:  [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/13/05 03:43PM >>>

On behalf of a client, a public health practitioner, I am looking for
information on programs related to physical activity promotion for children,
youth, and families with low incomes that have been shown through evaluation
to be best, better, promising, working, effective or recommended programs. I
have several systematic reviews and other sources of research evidence, but
my client is interested in information on “how to” put such a program in
place. As is often the case in public health this client is looking to
develop a program from scratch but is interested in existing programs that
have been shown to work that she, together with her health unit and
partners, could take and “run with” or adapt for their population or to
incorporate other evidence.

Therefore could you please send me any information you may have on physical
activity programs that aim to improve physical activity levels among
children and youth from families living on low incomes. I would appreciate
the name of the program and contact information so that I may learn more
about it such as a broader description of the program, the results of any
evaluation that has been conducted, and links to the tools, resources,
handouts, etc used in the program.

Thank you for your help.

Paula

Paula Robeson RN, MScN
Knowledge Broker
Evaluating the Evidence on Knowledge Brokers
c/o City of Hamilton
Public Health & Community Services
2 King Street West, 3rd Floor
Dundas, ON  L9H 6Z1