SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 16:14:15 -0400
Especially see possibility of recommending people and organizations for
consultations...

dr
COMMISSION ON
SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH

Dear Colleagues

Warmest thanks and congratulations to you all on a highly successful first
meeting of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health in Santiago.
Our initial discussions and the public launch of the Commission have
generated powerful momentum to carry us forward.

The information below is a follow-up on our initial steps in Chile.  It
will be helpful as we advance.

Meeting notes.  Notes from the Chile meeting and all subsequent sessions of
the Commission will be circulated by the secretariat within 2-3 weeks of
the events.  These notes will take the form of a succinct summary of main
discussion points (2-3 pages), with a focus on follow-up actions.  Meetings
of the Commission will be recorded in their entirety.  Should you require a
detailed reconstitution of the discussion around a specific issue, please
contact the Geneva secretariat (detailed contact information below).

Next meeting of the CSDH.  Based on the widely shared desire to gather
again before September, options are being explored for a meeting of
Commissioners in May.  This is the subject of a separate email.

Suggestions for Knowledge Network participants.  The Commission's Knowledge
Networks will be discussed extensively at our next meeting.  Recruiting
appropriate participants for the networks is crucial.  I encourage you to
send suggestions to the secretariat ([log in to unmask]) regarding institutions
and individuals to be considered as potential Knowledge Network
collaborators/ participants.

CSDH internal communications infrastructure.  IT structures to facilitate
the Commission's internal communications are being put in place.  You will
receive an update on this process shortly.

CSDH communications and media strategy.  Several of you have rightly
stressed the importance of a strong communications and media strategy for
the Commission's success.  A draft of this strategy is under development
and will be circulated in advance of the planned May meeting.

PowerPoint and other communications resources for Commissioners.  To
support your role as ambassadors of the Commission in your respective
spheres of activity and influence, PowerPoint slides and other
communications tools are being developed.  These will soon be made
available via our internal communications platforms.  In the meantime,
should you have need of such tools, please contact the CSDH Geneva
secretariat.

CSDH representation at the People's Health Assembly.  As Fran Baum
mentioned during our discussions in Santiago, the second global People's
Health Assembly will be held in Cuenca, Ecuador, from 18-23 July 2005,
under the auspices of the People's Health Movement (see the PHA website at
http://www.phmovement.org/pha2).  This event constitutes a key opportunity
for the Commission to engage with civil society constituencies whose
support will be critical to long-term success.  Current plans include both
a dedicated 3-hour panel on the CSDH and participation by Commissioners in
other PHA sessions connected with their respective areas of expertise
(e.g., globalisation and trade, HIV/AIDS, human resources for health).
Fran will be there and, following Fran’s encouragement, I plan to be there.
It would be excellent if another one or two Commissioner could be present
for at least part of the PHA.  If you are interested in attending, please
contact Fran ([log in to unmask]) or Alec Irwin in the Geneva
secretariat ([log in to unmask]).

Wider efforts to link with civil society.  The secretariat is developing a
comprehensive strategy for CSDH co-operation with civil society.  A draft
version of this strategy will be circulated for your comment.  In the
meantime, please share with the secretariat ([log in to unmask]) the names of
civil society groups with which you would particularly wish to see the
Commission engage.

Communications with the secretariat.  The CSDH secretariat, based at WHO,
Geneva, is at your service for all matters relating to the work of the
Commission.  The secretariat is headed by Dr Jeanette Vega, Leader of the
WHO Health Equity Team ([log in to unmask]).  Your initial point of contact for
most enquiries will be Mr Richard Poe, the secretariat's chief
administrator ([log in to unmask]). Primary contacts within the secretariat for
a number of specific areas are as follows:

Travel, logistics and finances: Richard Poe ([log in to unmask]; Tel
+41.22.791.34.76; Fax +41.22.791.43.28). Please note that additional
personnel are being brought on to assist with travel and logistics. Their
names and contacts will be made available as soon as appointments are
finalised.

Organisation and content of meetings, co-ordination of CSDH country work
strategies: Nicole Valentine ([log in to unmask]; Tel +41.22.791.32.17).

Matters related to Knowledge Networks and relationships with international
agencies: Hilary Brown ([log in to unmask]). Please note that a permanent
dedicated Knowledge Network Co-ordinator is currently being recruited.

Communications and media strategy: Theadora Koller (WHO EURO Venice Office;
[log in to unmask]).  Please note that a full-time dedicated
Communications and Media Officer is currently being recruited.

Commission website maintenance: HUANG Yunpeng ([log in to unmask]).

Relations with civil society constituencies, CSDH working papers series:
Alec Irwin ([log in to unmask]; Tel +41.22.791.19.60).

To support the scientific dimension of our work, a dedicated CSDH
scientific secretariat is being constituted here at the International
Centre for Health and Society, University College, London. I will shortly
provide you further details about the role, structure and staffing of the
scientific secretariat.

Once again, thanks to all of you for a most promising start to the
Commission's work. In the past days, my thoughts have often returned to
Monique's comment that our Santiago meeting saw a singularly rapid bonding
of diverse individuals into a warm, cohesive group. This bond will deepen
as we work together to strengthen knowledge and drive action on the social
determinants of health. I look forward to close collaboration with all of
you.

With best wishes

Professor Sir Michael Marmot FRCP