SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Thompson, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:11:01 -0400
hi all,

as a practicing community psychiatrist who works in primary care and community mental health settings let me see if i can bridge an apparent gulf in this conversation string.. inventing the neck, as it were...

actually the whole idea of the chronic care model has its roots in psychiatry.  from the 1970s on, there are has been a growing appreciation in community psychiatry of what it takes to be useful to folks who have circumstances and syndromes that relapse and remit.. as well as syndromes and circumstances that just persist.  the development in the 70s of the "assertive community treatment model" has almost all the ingredients of the chronic care model. but it lacked two elements that are now reshaping psychiatric practice.

first was the development of the consumer/expatient movement which has articulated an extraordinary vision of how consumers can pursue their recovery- with help from other consumer, attuned mental health professionals, and other resources.  it has been building on the crosswalk between people with addictions and people with other psychiatric conditions.   this movement is a much deeper notion then is currently articulated notion of the "activated patient" in the chronic care model.  by the way, the use of the term "chronic" is anathema to recovery movement.  the word implies lack of hope- as in "chronic mental patient".  a better term for the chronic care model would be "wholelistic long term support for people with persisting illness or disability" WLTSPPID?

second is the development of a related movement by the families of persons with mental illness.  here we see an effort to recognize the need to support people who are helping family and friends deal with difficult circumstances- and come out the other side.

in combination (along with the more medical approach of meds and genetics) these forces are reshaping psychiatry and, i suspect will begin to reshape the care of people with persisting illnesses in primary care..

which gets us back to the issue of the treatment of depression in primary care.  i think the problem isnt the lack of an approach to depression as a persisting remitting and relapsing condition in psychiatry- we have such an approach and, while it is often overly focused on meds (and should be critiqued), it is not only focused on meds.  but in primary care medicine, i see a model of practice that does much less in engaging patients and families in addressing the social circumstances of their illnessess and disabilities and the consequent social dilemas people face individually and as a group..

the chronic care model is not yet a vision of recovery.  (and so we are clear, recovery does not necessarily mean making the illness/symptoms go away.. it means figuring out how to have a life that a person wants to live, despite their illness/disabilty.  it means moving the system of supports and interventions that we call medicine to be useful in that pursuit...

ken thompson
pittsburgh