SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Randy Reiter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 13:29:17 -0700
Here's an example of an attempt at ongoing population health assessment by
a local health dept.

In San Francisco we have been producing an annual overview of health whcih
attempts to review available data on most important health outcomes and
determinant conditions.  I produced these reports from 2000 thru 2003. They
can be found under SF Dept. of Public Health website under reports--here's
url for 2002 version (2003 unfortunately was done as part of dept. annual
report, so is included in that as ch 3 & 4 and first part of ch. 2):

http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/Reports/OvrViewHlth/OvrviewHlth02/OvrviewHlth02All.pdf

This repoort has evolved each year.  It wasn't done in 2004 due to my
position falling prey to massive budget cuts due to California and S.F.
finances, but I expect a version of it  to be restored this year, which
should allow the ongoing development of this report to resume.

Our aim is to provide data for evidence-based public health, including
developing the attribution analysis side so that we can start linking the
levels of social determinants to their effects on the burden of disease.
We want to be able to estimate the effects on population health over time
of changing the distribution of factors like income distribution, social
supports, etc.

 I'd be most interested in comments or suggestions.  Ultimately we want to
monitor the most important, and modifiable, determinants of the burden of
disease (and disparities) in populations, but we're still trying to figure
out what that means we should include, and how to get (local) data to
assess it.

Randy Reiter, PhD, MPH
 Community Health Epidemiology & Disease Control
 San Francisco Dept. of Public Health
 101 Grove St., Room 400 (MAIL: to Room 408)
 San Francisco, CA 94102
phone: 415 554-2638          fax: 415 5542579
phone: (415) 554-2638           fax: (415)  554-2579
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

                      "Thompson,
                      Kenneth"                 To:       [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]        cc:
                      EDU>                     Subject:  Re: [SDOH] Communicable Diseases in Toronto 2003 Annual Report
                      Sent by: Social
                      Determinants of
                      Health

                      05/12/2005 10:15
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Social
                      Determinants of
                      Health

hi all,

is there a good example of a recent study of health and illness of a
particular city or region that really stands out in how well it actually
captures the dynamics of the social geography/context of health and
illness?  an example of what we should be aspiring to produce in our own
cities and regions??

ken