Sender:
From:
List Administration <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:11:55 -0400
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 , rlc4 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>It would be really nice if you could remove the listserv from your
automatic
>response list, so that we all don't get tons of messages that you are out
>of the office.

Greetings,

Thanks Rhonda for your helpful suggestion.  The list administrators have
heard back from a list member who asked their IT department to remove
CLICK4HP from their address list for out-of-office response list - but was
told that was not possible. They suggested that the CLICK4HP listserver be
set to cut out such replies.

The CLICK4HP listserver does have filtering that blocks out a large number
of 'out-of-office' replies (o-o-o-r). However, MS Outlook often gets
through the filter on the listserv, and thus some 'out-of-office' replies
get posted to the whole list.  It is not something that the list
administration can do much more about; other than turning 'off' the
capability of a number of repeat 'o-o-o-r' posters to actually be able to
post messages directly to the list (it means those people's messages come
to the list administrators for approval first before going out). I'm
reluctant to do that for anyone who posts regularly to the CLICK4HP list,
as the list administrator(s) may be away when a message should be
distributed.

The other option which I encourage is for list members who are going away
for a period of time, such as a vacation or on a conference for a week, to
change their own subscription to temporarily disable their mail delivery.
That way there will not be any CLICK4HP messages that lead to o-o-o-replies
going to the list.
It can be done easily by email by sending a message to the Listserver (not
the list)at

**leaving the Subject line blank***

and in the body of the message typing in only:

SET CLICK4HP NOMAIL

When you return, to turn ON the CLICK4HP list, you would send another
message to the [log in to unmask]
and in the body of the message type in
SET CLICK4HP MAIL

and it starts up again.

The same functions and many others, can also be accomplished very easily
online through the CLICK4HP archives, at
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html
However, you will need to set up a password if you haven't done it
previously.  That action is a bit tricky but can be done in about 5
minutes. I find it very useful to access the online subscription option for
my own subscription to this list, and to others using ListServ software or
Mailman.

Or you could ask us, the list administrators for help and we'll gladly
temporarily 'shut off' your ability to post to the list, and re-establish
it on your return.

Get in touch with the list administrators by sending a message to either:
<[log in to unmask]>  OR

Keep us in mind when you are headed off on holidays!  Thanks again for
everyone's participation in keeping this list active and lively.

Alison Stirling
CLICK4HP list co-facilitator