From:
Robb Travers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:39:22 -0500
you speak of the "politicizing of tobacco issues" without once mentioning
the "social context"  within which people smoke, why they smoke, or how they
came to smoke -- people do not smoke in a social vacuum.  the links to
poverty for example?  the moralizing and stigmatizing of smoking?  the
playing field isn't equal when you tell a child "not to run into
traffic"....teaching 1 - 3 year olds "lifestyle correctness" is merely
obscuring the social roots of disease for yet another entire generation. .
good health promotion?  I'd say not.

Robb Travers, Ph.D (c)
Research Associate,
HIV/AIDS Social Research Group
KTH 208, McMaster University,
Hamilton, ON
905 977-7622

Research Affiliate,
HIV Social, Behavioural & Epidemiological Studies Unit,
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto,
Toronto, ON