From:
Glenn Laverack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:46:08 +1200
Thanks for the prompt response Ron - isn't the internet wonderful for those
of us who have access.

I have little disagreement with concern you raise about the process becoming
the goal, and believe it is a criticism that can be leveled to varying
degrees at almost all large international meetings.

The impact of the Ottawa Charter was partly related to follow-up action by
WHO as an organisation, but also as a result of advocacy by those who
attended, and the many others subsequently who who were inspired by the
concept and principles of health promotion. Some but not all of its impact
can be seen in terms of policy change.

The fate of the Bangkok Charter will be the same - somewhat dependent upon a
WHO response, but mostly on the advocacy of those who attend, and the
quality of the product itself.

My concern at this stage is to give every opportunity to WHO to develop a
quality process that will inspire those present, and to contribute to the
development of a quality product that will engage those not present - hence
my challenge to you to make a constructive contribution to the debate
occurring in advance of the conference, and to put forward your ideas on the
content of a Charter that would inspire and engage.

best wishes

Don

Ronald Labonte wrote:

Hi Don, et al:

For my part, the questions weren't met to be aggressive, impertinent or
disrespectful of the WHO process; rather, they are meant to provoke some
sobering reflections on what these global conference processes might
actually mean in terms of policy change and practice.  I realize that is a
hard question to answer a priori, given the rather unexpected ex post impact
of the Ottawa Charter.  But I sometimes fear that some of us who mean well
(and I include myself in the criticism that follows) get caught up in
processes and lose sight of the goals, as the processes themselves become
the goal.

Cheers.

Ronald Labonte
Canada Research Chair, Globalization/Health Equity
Institute of Population Health
Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
Institute of Population Health