CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

Sender:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Sarena Seifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 10:18:41 -0700
Dear colleagues,

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health is recruiting new board members who
will begin three-year terms in September 2005. Applications are due Monday May
9, 2005.  The information below is also available online at
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/boardrecruit2.html

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health promotes health through partnerships
between communities and higher educational institutions. We are searching for
individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, with a broad range of
experience and expertise, a passion for community-campus partnerships, ties to
multiple networks and organizations, and the time and ability to contribute to
a working board.

We are especially interested in receiving applications from:
*Students in undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate programs
*Individuals from community-based and faith-based settings
*Individuals with experience and expertise in community and economic
development
*Individuals with experience and expertise in fundraising
*Individuals with experience and expertise in policy analysis, development
and/or advocacy

The CCPH board has adopted the policy governance model. We encourage you to
read our policies and past board meeting minutes as you consider your interest
in serving on the board and your ability to meet the expectations of board
members.  For more information, please visit these websites:
http://www.policygovernance.com/model.htm
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/board.html

CCPH board members commit not only to actively participating in 2 board
meetings per year, but to also attending CCPH's annual conference and
contributing regularly throughout the year through conference calls and other
activities. Serving on the board involves hard work, but it can also be
extremely rewarding and a lot of fun!

Board members are expected to be members of CCPH and to make an annual donation
to the organization in an amount of their choosing. We do not require board
members to pay for their travel to board meetings, as we do not want financial
considerations to inhibit anyone from serving on our board. However, we do ask
that board members consider having their employer or school pay for some or all
of their expenses if their board involvement is compatible with their
professional responsibilities or degree program. As a result, many board
members contribute to their expenses, including student members who have
received support from their schools.

Our board composition reflects the diverse constituencies we serve, including
community leaders, academic administrators, nonprofit agency leaders, faculty
members and students. Some are directly involved in health care or health
professions education, and some are not. Board members are not chosen for nor
are they expected to represent a particular category or constituency, but
rather to bring a broad perspective to the board's deliberations. The CCPH
website includes brief biographies of current board members at
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/boardmembers.html

We have created an application process to select new board members. Our aim is
to find board members whose goals and philosophy align with those of CCPH, to
fulfill the needs and interests of individual board members, and those of our
organization. The application process is intended to help us understand your
background, skills and contacts and what you would like to contribute and gain
as a board member. It also helps us in making suggestions of other meaningful
ways you might consider becoming involved in CCPH should you not be offered a
board position at this time.

CCPH's Board Recruitment Committee will review all applications. A select group
of applicants will be interviewed by phone in June 2005. The committee will
then recommend specific candidates to the full board for their consideration.
Letters of invitation to serve on the board will be mailed in July 2005.

In the event you are offered a board position, please mark the dates and
locations of the next scheduled board meetings on your calendar now.
Prospective applicants who have unavoidable conflicts on these dates are
respectfully asked not to apply for a board position at this time:

September 22-24, 2005 in Toronto
May 30-31, 2006 in Minneapolis

If you have any questions about any aspect of the board or CCPH, please contact
CCPH executive director Sarena Seifer at [log in to unmask] or
206-616-4305, or CCPH board chair Renee Bayer at [log in to unmask] or
734-936-0932.   We look forward to reviewing your application.

Sincerely,

Members of the CCPH Board Recruitment Committee:

Board Application Process

To apply for the CCPH board, please send us the following information no later
than Monday May 9, 2005:

A. Current resume or curriculum vitae

B. A cover letter that answers these three questions:

1. Why do you want to serve on the CCPH board of directors?
2. What strengths, skills and experience would you bring to the CCPH board?
3. What experience do you have with community-campus partnerships and/or
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health?

C. A one-page sheet that includes the following information:

1. Your complete contact information (please include all items that apply to
you):

Name
Title
Organization
Mailing Address
Phone
Fax
Email
Website

If you are a student: indicate whether undergraduate, graduate or
post-graduate; full-time or part-time; degree/program; and expected month/year
of graduation/completion

2. Your primary affiliation (please list one):

Community-based organization
Faith-based organization
Government
Higher educational institution
Hospital or health system
Philanthropy
Professional association
Other (please specify)

3. Your areas of experience or expertise (please list all that apply):

Advocacy
Community and economic development
Community organizing
Fundraising
Policy analysis and/or policy development
Other (please specify)

D. The names, affiliations and phone numbers of two references we can call who
can speak to the strengths, skills and knowledge you would bring to the CCPH
board.

Please return your completed application by mail, fax or email to:

Annika Robbins
Administrative Director
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health
UW Box 354809
Seattle, WA 98195-4809
(For express mail:
1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 345
Seattle, WA 98105)
Tel. 206-616-3472
Fax. 206-685-6747
Email: [log in to unmask]

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health is a nonprofit organization
that promotes health through partnerships between communities and
higher educational institutions.  Become a member today at www.ccph.info

CCPH is the Higher Education Senior Program Advisor for the Learn and
Serve America National Service-Learning Clearinghouse.  Visit the
Clearinghouse at www.servicelearning.org

Join CCPH for our 9th Conference, May 31-June 3, 2006 in Minneapolis, MN