CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:11:31 -0400
Synergy Online – April  2005

Also available on the web: http://www.csih.org/synergy/synergy.html

In this issue:

*      Address Oppression, Become an Ally!

*      Community-Campus Partnerships for Health’s 9th Conference

*      CIHR is looking for Peer Reviewers

*      Call for Papers on Global Health

*      Vacant Posting at Development and Peace

*      Vacant Postings at Canadian Crossroads International

*      On-line courses at the University of Calgary

~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

Address Oppression, Become an Ally May 13 – 15th, Fri. 7 pm – Sun 1 pm. Have
you ever wondered at work how to deal with racist comments from a
co-worker?;  Or have you sat around the dinner table and been silenced by
homophobic comments by your Uncle Joe? This workshop supports us to confront
oppression in our work, in the institutions we associate with, and in our
families. You will learn to develop policies and practices for your schools,
universities, in government, at church, and in the various public places and
privates spaces amongst our homes and families, which promote openness,
inclusivity and safety for all members of our community.  We will use
role-plays, constructive dialogue, practice and application in this timely
and relevant workshop. Come listen to keynote speakers: Barbara
Hamilton-Hinch, Omega Bulah, Anne Bishop and Stephen Law. Cost: $250.00.
Bursaries are available, please contact us to apply.To register:
1-800-218-2220, email: [log in to unmask]

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health's 9th Conference May 31 - June 3,
2006 Minneapolis, Minnesota USA With the remarkable expansion of interest
and investment in community-campus partnerships, the time is right to take a
critical look at these partnerships in all of their iterations and ask (and
answer) key questions about where we are now, where we are going and where
we need to be. Where is the community in community-campus partnerships? How
do we fully realize authentic partnerships? What are the barriers and
challenges getting in our way? Community-Campus Partnerships for Health's
9th conference promises to address these questions and more as we create a
vision for the future of community-campus partnerships as a strategy for
social justice.  It's not too early to start planning to participate! Stay
tuned for more details on the CCPH homepage at www.ccph.info If you would
like to be notified when the Call for Proposals and Registration Brochure is
available, please email Anne Moreau at [log in to unmask]

CIHR Peer Reviewers Involving the Canadian public in CIHR peer review
committees The Canadian Institutes of Health Research have committed to
enhancing public and stakeholder engagement in health research in Canada. To
this end, CIHR is seeking applications from members of the public who are
interested in serving as community reviewers (lay reviewers) on CIHR's peer
review committees. This involvement enhances accountability and transparency
of the peer review process, and provides an additional mechanism for
addressing the relevance of applications to CIHR's mandate. The community
reviewer does not appraise the scientific quality of the applications or
take part in voting procedures. How to apply to become a Community Reviewer
CIHR will consider applications from individuals who are nominated by an
individual or an organization interested in health research. You can send
your nomination package either by fax (613)-954-1800, or by email

Call for Papers on Global Health For the November/December 2005 issue of the
Canadian Journal of Public Health will focus on global health, we are
inviting authors to submit original research articles (such as intervention
studies, systematic reviews, or surveys), program descriptions and
commentaries on topics addressing global and international health. These
submissions will go through the regular peer review process. For more
information on submission requirements, please see our Information for
Authors at: http://www.cpha.ca/english/cjph/stylreq/style.htm
<http://www.______%20> . All manuscripts should be submitted by May 15,
2005. If you have any questions or require further information on this
Global Health issue of the journal, please contact the CJPH Editorial Office
by e-mail at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> , or by phone at: (613)
725-3769, ext. 179.

Vacant Posting at Development and Peace. Development and Peace, the Canadian
Catholic Church’s organization for international solidarity, is looking for
a Major Gifts and Planned Giving Officer. Reporting to the Director of
Administrative Services and under the immediate supervision of the
Fundraising Coordinator, you will promote planned and major gifts with the
French-speaking community across Canada. You will participate in the
evaluation of results and in the planning of fundraising initiatives. You
will be responsible for maintaining ongoing relations with current and
potential donors. Send a résumé with a cover letter to : Human Resources,
5633 Sherbrooke East, Montreal (Quebec) H1N 1A3 or e-mail to :
[log in to unmask] – or fax to : (514) 257-8497. For more information, please
visit  <http://www.devp.org/> www.devp.org.

Canadian Crossroads International is looking to fill two positions for
Regional Program Officers, Western Region. Canadian Crossroads International
is an international volunteer cooperation agency that brings citizens and
organizations in Canada and developing countries together to reduce poverty,
combat HIV/AIDS and promote human rights. Reporting to the Regional
Director, these positions are intended to manage regional and international
partnerships and projects, supervise and support local and international
volunteers, and to ensure effective public engagement within the region.
The regional office works with partner organizations in Bolivia, Guatemala,
and Suriname and in Western Canada to share knowledge and experience, carry
out volunteer exchanges and collaborate on efforts to reduce poverty. Please
email your CV to Linda Rubuliak, [log in to unmask]

On-line Courses at the University of Calgary. The University of Calgary is
offering two online courses in Bioethics and people with disabilities and
Health Research, Emerging Technologies and Marginalized Groups. These
courses are offered in the Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies.
These online courses provide an in depth view of the impact of bioethics on
social policy, disability studies, disability research and the lives of
disabled people. Students will develop through the course an appreciation
for the interconnectedness of the bioethics debate with the human rights,
and disabled’ people’s rights debate. The first course will lays the
foundation for the other half course which deals with health research and
emerging technologies such as cybernetics, nanotechnology and genetics and
their impact on disabled people. For a complete course listing see:
www.crds.org <http://www.crds.org/> . For more information, please contact
course instructor Gregor Wolbring at [log in to unmask]