From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:57:02 -0600
1. NEW ISSUE OF WELLSPRING

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

1. NEW ISSUE OF WELLSPRING
This issue focuses on the results of "Beyond an Apple a Day: The Alberta
Healthy Schools Project." Funded by Health Canada's Diabetes Strategy, this
major study assessed the physical activity and eating habits of grade 7 and
8 students from across Alberta. You can access this issue at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html.

We welcome reprints of WellSpring. If you would like to reprint all or part
of WellSpring or link to it from your web site, please contact Kathy
Garnsworthy at [log in to unmask]

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

a. Centre’s Contributions to the Healthy Alberta Web Site
(www.healthyalberta.com)
The centre is proud of its contributions to the Active Living and Healthy
Eating sections of the Healthy Alberta web site (the Government of Alberta's
health-promotion web site for the general public). The centre will continue
to provide new Active Living and Healthy Eating resources for this site
every month. (We have contracted Heidi Bates, a very well-respected Alberta
dietitian, to provide the Healthy Eating resources.) Check out this updated
web site, which went live in late March, at www.healthyalberta.com.
------------------
b. Centre Closure
The centre will be closed from April 30 to May 5 (we are getting new
carpets). You will still be able to reach many staff members via e-mail.

-------------------------
c. Staff Changes
We’re sorry to announce that Joanne Gesell, our Education Coordinator, has
left the centre to join the InMotion Network. Among her many other duties,
Joanne was co-editor of WellSpring. We wish Joanne all the best in her new
position.
----------------

c. SummerActive
Health Canada recently announced that SummerActive 2004 will run from May
10-June 19, 2004.  Agencies are encouraged to include SummerActive events
and promotions in their programming.

A leader’s guide, tip sheets, and other information will soon be available
on the SummerActive web site.  As in past years, the web site will include
instructions for leaders to register their events and for participants to
register their activities.  All registrants will be eligible to win prizes.
The web site will be updated very soon with 2004 information. You may wish
to bookmark the site for your future use: www.summeractive.canoe.ca.
--------------

d. Library Acquisitions
Visit our web site (www.centre4activeliving.ca) for information about the
latest acquisitions in our Resource Library.  The centre’s Resource Library
has an extensive collection of resources on physical activity, active
living, chronic disease prevention, benefits of recreation, health
promotion, population health, health determinants, nutrition, heart health,
and workplace wellness.
--------------------

e. AFLCA Ever Active Adults Certificate Course
The Ever Active Adults 16-hour course educates practitioners about
appropriate active living strategies for improving the quality of life for
Alberta seniors. This course is designed for Alberta practitioners working
in lodges and assisted living and long-term care facilities. The Ever Active
Adults course offers an opportunity to network and gain access to external
resources and services.

Upcoming courses in Alberta:
Cold Lake - September 16 & 17, 2004
Jasper - October 7 & 8, 2004
Lethbridge, Alberta - November 24 & 25, 2004

To register, or if you are interested in hosting an Ever Active Adults
course in an area in Alberta, contact
Lesley McEwan
(780) 492-4435
E-mail:[log in to unmask]