From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:10:46 -0600
APRIL 2005 ISSUE OF WELLSPRING FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

1. What's in this issue?

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

---------------------

1. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE?
"Where Have all the Hours Gone? Media Entertainment and Physical Activity"
By Sharon McCann, Manager, Film Classification Services, Alberta Community
Development
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html

The average child spends 6.5 hours a day with TV, the Internet, video games,
radio, MP3 players, and other media. What is the effect of this inactive
time on the health of our children? Dennis Allen, Manager, Alberta Games &
Marketing, comments on Sharon McCann's article from the perspective of the
Government of Alberta's "Live Outside the Box" campaign.

If you plan to include these WellSpring articles in your newsletter or post
them on your web site or Intranet, simply let me know by contacting me at

-------------------------

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

a. New Education Coordinator.
We are very pleased that Judy Newman has accepted the position of Education
Coordinator at the Centre. Judy's most recent position was as a Project Team
Leader with the Population Health Strategies Branch at Alberta Health and
Wellness. She was involved in the Healthy U at Work and other aspects of the
provincial Healthy U campaign. Before this, she was the Director of Health
Promotion at the Leduc-Strathcona Health Unit. Judy holds an MSc in Physical
Education and a diploma in adult education.

b. Health Aging Community Workshops.
The Alberta Centre for Active Living is offering educational workshops on
older adult physical activity and healthy eating across Alberta in
partnership with Alberta Regional Health Authorities
(www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/index.html).

c. Additions to the Centre's Resource Library.
Visit the centre's web site for a list of new additions to our library
(www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/ResourceLibrary/FebMarResources.html).

d. Canadian Health Network News  (www.canadian-health-network.ca)
Frequently Asked Questions:
We are researching topics for the CHN Active Living FAQ collection. Do you
or your organization respond to active living questions from the public or
from health practitioners? If so, please let Maria Tan
([log in to unmask]) know about the top three frequently asked questions
you receive and whether you have responses to active living FAQs on your web
site.

Looking for Resources:
Please let Pauline Poon ([log in to unmask]) know if you are aware of
active living related resources/organizations in the following areas:
- games/quizzes/fact sheets/information on heat exhaustion/heat stroke
prevention;
- active living information for men;
- weight management for First Nations and Inuit people;
- preventing or managing mood disorders (particularly for Aboriginal and
ethnic groups).

e. SummerActive (May 6-June 20/05):
SummerActive is an annual national promotion organized by the Public Health
Agency of Canada designed to help Canadians improve their health through
regular physical activity, healthy eating and living tobacco-free.

SummerActive School Resource Guide:
- This 56-page resource includes information and ideas for teachers,
administrators, parents, and community leaders to promote healthy active
lifestyles (www.everactive.org/?p=resources).

The SummerActive registration page is now up and running! Plan a new event
or register an initiative you are already planning at
http://cgi.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/SummerActive/register.pl?Mode=INDIVIDUAL.

----------------------

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
(In office Mon., Tues., Wed., and Fri.)
Tel.: 780 415-6248
www.centre4activeliving.ca

If you have received this message more than once, we apologise. We try to
distribute our information as widely as possible. As we send out through a
variety of distribution networks, some of you may receive this message more
than once.