From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:46:15 -0500
[Apologies for cross-posting]

What an impressive article this is! Here's a sample:

"Although the title of this article [SOCIAL SERVICE OR SOCIAL CHANGE?] may
be misleading in contrasting social service provision and social change
work, the two do not necessarily go together easily and in many instances do
not go together at all. There are some groups working for social change that
are providing social service; there are many more groups providing social
services that are not working for social change. In fact, many social
service agencies may be intentionally or inadvertently working to maintain
the status quo."

It is so relevant to what our women in poverty are doing. As Kivel would
have forecast, our efforts to mobilize are being resisted, most recently by
Big Media. E.g., were it not for one senior writer (Stephen Hume of The
Vancouver Sun), it would have been a complete media blackout. We will
persist though. If it has to be underground, so be it.

The file is PDF.

SOCIAL SERVICE OR SOCIAL CHANGE?
By Paul Kivel

http://www.paulkivel.com/articles/Social%20Service%20or%20Social%20Change.pdf

Linda Green (OISE, Toronto) recently remarked in a post to PAR-L: "Paul
Kivel is a violence prevention educator who is among those who are not
simply falling into step with the mainstream prevention hype of the health
bandwagon."

Chrystal Ocean, Coordinator.
Wellbeing through Inclusion Socially & Economically
http://www.wise-bc.org/
250-748-8093

ORDER NOW! Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the Front