From:
Susan Lilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:21:46 -0400
Another useful tool to facilitate a discussion on participation is Sherry
Arnstein's "ladder of citizen participation", which I have used in
conjunction with the Rifkin model because it brings in some other issues.
Both these tools have been around for awhile but they are still excellent,
in my opinion. Thanks for reminding us about them Liz.

Some references:

Armstein, S.R. 1969. A ladder of citizen participation. American Institute
of Planners Journal, 3: 216-224.

Bjaras, G., B.J.A. Haglund and S.B. Rifkin. 1991. A new approach to
community participation assessment. Health Promotion International, 6
(3):199.

Rifkin, S.B., F. Muller and W. Bichmann. 1988. Primary health care: On
measuring participation. Social Science and Medicine, 26(9): 931-940.

Susan Lilley
7 Canterbury Place
Dartmouth NS B2Y 4J5
Tel: (902) 463-1837