CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:17:48 -0400
	Synergy Online – October  2005Also available on the web:
>>http://www.csih.org/synergy/synergy.htmlIn this issue:
*  Notice of Annual General Meeting for the Canadian Society for
International Health- 2005
* Canadian Conference on International Health, Nov. 6th to 9th 2005
* Experts panel on renewing CIDA partnerships announced
* Understanding Gender and HIV/AIDS
* Canadian Crossroads International (CCI) Global Forum
* Job opportunity at Agriteam Canada Consulting
* EACH 2006 - International Conference on Communication in Healthcare
* Call for papers on Global Heath
* Partnership Fall 2005 Symposium
* CSIH member list update
* Pre announcement - Global Health Research Initiative Teasdale-Corti Team
Grants
* The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) launches book
* Election to CSIH Board
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%Notice
of Annual General Meeting for the Canadian Society for International
Health- 2005:
On behalf of the Board of Directors of CSIH, it is our pleasure to invite
you to attend this year's Annual General Meeting of the Society which will
take place on Monday, November 7th, 2005 beginning at 17:00 in the
International Ballroom, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Ottawa, Ontario.  Once
again this year, the meeting will be held in conjunction with the annual
Conference on International Health being held from November 6 to 9th, 2005.
The AGM is open to all CSIH members and we encourage you to attend.  The
agenda for the meeting, a Proxy Form, a Resolution Submission Instruction
Sheet, and draft Minutes from the 2004 AGM can be found on the CSIH website
at www.csih.org/agm.html
>>upCanadian Conference on International Health, Nov. 6th to 9th 2005:
Conference on International Health will take place in Ottawa at the Crowne
Plaza Hotel, November 6th to 9th, 2005. The theme of this year’s conference
is Your Money or Your Life: Health in the Global Economy. The first day of
the Conference will be the Day of Canadian Global Health Research put on by
the Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research. Exciting workshops are
planned for this event including “Media and Advocacy Skills Development”
and “How to write a great funding proposal.”  On-line registration is now
available with special daily rates and rates for students. For further
information please visit www.csih.org, write [log in to unmask] or call
1-613-241-5785 extension 326.
>>upExperts panel on renewing CIDA partnerships announced:
The Minister of International Cooperation announced last week the creation
of a 22-member Experts Panel to strengthen CIDA’s relationship with
Canadian voluntary and private-sector organizations and to “promote
excellence and innovation in Canada's fight against global poverty". The
panel is drawn from civil society organizations, the private sector and
other outside experts from Canada and abroad. CCIC's Gerry Barr and several
member CEOs have been asked to serve on the panel. A full panel list is
available on CIDA’s website at www.acdi-cida.gc.ca.
>>upUnderstanding Gender and HIV/AIDS:
ICAD will be hosting a day long workshop at Les Suites Hotel in Ottawa on
November 4, 2005. The workshop is being funded largely through the Public
Health Agency of Canada and will be facilitated by Peter Busse, formerly
the Executive Director of the National Association of People With AIDS
(NAPWA) in South Africa. Attendance will be limited to a maximum of 25
participants. The workshop is free but a $15 contribution towards
lunch/coffee breaks would be most appreciated. For more information, see
www.icad-cisd.com.
>>upCanadian Crossroads International (CCI) Global Forum:
CCI is proud to be hosting a forum called “HIV Without Borders:
Collaborating globally against the pandemic”. The forum, which looks at
international cooperation in the fight against HIV/ AIDS, is a unique
gathering of international and Canadian community-based organizations.
Participants will discuss how Canadians can best support Southern community
organizations in their fight against AIDS. This is a chance to focus on the
dynamics of relationships between international partners working across the
North-South divide on issues of HIV/AIDS. The forum takes place from
December 10 to 11 2005, at Metro Hall, 55 John St., Toronto. For more
information, contact [log in to unmask]
>>upJob opportunity at Agriteam Canada Consulting:
Agriteam is an international development company that provides expertise in
a number of areas including agriculture, health, environment, human
resource development, education, and legal reform. Agriteam requires Senior
Consultants with a post graduate degree and at least 5 years of
international experience, preferably at the field and managerial levels,
for short and long term assignments.  Experience in Africa and/or Asia
would be an asset. Please indicate in your cover letter your particular
areas of interest and expertise.  Send your CV and cover letter as a Word
document to [log in to unmask]
>>upEACH 2006 - International Conference on Communication in Healthcare:
This conference will be held from September 5 to 8, 2006 at the University
of Basle, Switzerland.  For more information, see www.each-conference.com
or contact the European Association for Communication in Healthcare (EACH)
at [log in to unmask]
>>upCall for papers on Global Heath:
The January/February 2006 issue of the Canadian Journal of Public Health
will focus on global health.  The journal invites authors to submit
original research articles (such as intervention studies, systematic
reviews, or surveys), program descriptions and commentaries on topics
addressing global and international health. These submissions will go
through the regular peer review process.  For more information on
submission requirements, please see our Information for Authors at:
www.cpha.ca/english/cjph/stylreq/style.htm.
>>upPartnership Fall 2005 Symposium:
The CIHI's Partnership for Health Information Standards and the Symposium
Program Committee invites those interested to attend their Fall 2005
Symposium titled “Health Information Standards: Conform to the Norm”.  The
event will attract a wide range of Canadians interested in conformance to
health information standards—from vendors and health care providers to
government officials, educators, decision-makers and, of course, standards
developers. Symposium participants will be able to network, dialogue, share
information, and learn about the latest in conformance plans and
activities, as well as health information standards. The Symposium will
also host a number of health information association meetings in Victoria,
and will provide our partner associations with the venue and audience for
them to further their work.  For more information, see www.secure.cihi.ca.
>>upCSIH member list update:
CSIH is in the process of updating their mailing list.  If you are a
member, please take a moment to provide your address and telephone
information by sending an email to [log in to unmask]
>>upPre announcement - Global Health Research Initiative Teasdale-Corti
Team Grants:
The Global Health Research Initiative (GHRI), a partnership between the
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), the Canadian Institutes
of Health Research (CIHR), Health Canada, and the International Development
Research Centre (IDRC), invites letters of intent from teams composed of
Canadian and low- and middle- income country (LMIC) researchers and
research users (e.g. policymakers, practitioners, and civil society
organizations) interested in developing innovative multi-year programs that
combine applied research, knowledge translation, and capacity building to
solve pressing health problems in LMICs. The call for Letters of Intent is
to be issues on 31 October 2005.  For more information, see web.idrc.ca.
>>upThe International Development Research Centre (IDRC) launches book:
IDRC is hosting the launch of The Future of Development Financing:
Challenges and Strategic Choices on October 46, 2005 at 2:00pm in Ottawa.
Dr Francisco Sagasti, one of the book’s authors and a member of the IDRC
Board of Governors, will share his analysis on the inadequacies of the
current international development financing system as well as ideas for its
reform.  For more information, see www.idrc.ca/en.
>>upElection to CSIH Board:
Every two years the Canadian Society for International Health holds
elections for members of the Society to serve on the Board of Directors.
This is an exciting opportunity to become involved in providing leadership
and overall direction to the society.  Board members need to be dedicated
to international health and development and have the time to attend at
least four Board meetings a year [some by teleconference], and to sit on
the society's various sub committees and task forces. Persons interested
should be prepared to serve on the Board for a two-year term.  The Society
covers all expenses related to participation in Board meetings.  For more
information, see http://www.csih.org/csihindex2.html.
>>up
Contacts and Info
  Mail: Internet: >>Synergy online >>CSIH Homepage