CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Ianthe Andrea King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:56:45 -0400
http://www.cciorg.ca/Ontario/forum2005.html

Canadian Crossroads International (CCI) Global Forum
December 10-11th, 2005
Metro Hall, 55 John St., Toronto, Ontario

  CCI's HIV Without Borders: Collaborating globally against the
pandemic is a global forum on international cooperation in the fight
against HIV/ AIDS. The Forum is a unique gathering of international
and Canadian community-based organizations and other concerned
individuals to discuss how Canadians can best support Southern
community organizations in their fight against AIDS.  This is a
chance to focus on the dynamics of relationships between
international partners working across the North-South divide on
issues of HIV/AIDS.

There is a palpable desire amongst many organizations and individuals
to work internationally towards shared solutions to this global
pandemic.  To be effective, we must be equipped to recognize and
respect the ways diverse cultural contexts create diverse responses
to HIV/ AIDS.  With this respect comes an openness to learning and
working together across borders, drawing on both our similarities and
differences.

This Forum will explore and enhance our preparedness for working
collaboratively. It is an opportunity to increase our capacity to
work in international relationships, sharing knowledge, skills and
resources to create effective change across borders on HIV/AIDS -
whether by AIDS service organizations, NGOs, businesses or average
Canadians.

Who should attend?

Representatives of AIDS service organizations, NGOs, businesses,
medical practitioners, returned overseas volunteers or other citizens
interested in the issues. The Forum will bring together those
concerned from the South and North to share skills, strategies and
experience, examined through an appreciation of diverse cultures and
contexts.

This is your chance to engage with others working globally in the
battle against the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Issues the Forum seeks to
address include:

     * How do we improve cross-cultural communication, challenge
cultural assumptions and stereotypes, and respect our differences in
order to work in partnership across borders more effectively?
     * How does a community's unique social, cultural and economic
challenges shape appropriate HIV prevention and treatment strategies?
What do we have to share when our contexts and challenges are so
varied?
     * How do we share resources across borders more effectively? How
can we overcome challenges associated with fundraising, private
sector support and donor-recipient relations?

Questions? Contact:

Program Assistant
Canadian Crossroads International - Ontario Regional Office
317 Adelaide St. West, Suite 500 Toronto, Ontario . M5V 1P9
Phone: 416-967-1611 x 231
Fax: 416-967-9078