SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:37:04 -0500

NEW POSTINGS AVAILABLE ON THE
CHILDCARE RESOURCE AND RESEARCH UNIT’S WEBSITE
28-Oct-05

All postings available on CRRU’s homepage
http://www.childcarecanada.org/

WHAT’S NEW

>> La qualité, ça compte!
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82540
Paper from the Institute for Research on Public Policy presents the
results of the ÉLDEQ study; finds gap in quality of child care attended by
children of different socio-economic backgrounds.

>> First Nations early learning and child care action plan
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82539
Report from the Assembly of First Nations sets out their vision for a
“First Nations controlled and sustainable child care system that adopts a
holistic, culturally appropriate approach.”

>> Nova Scotia announces pre-primary pilot program
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82538
Press release from the government of Nova Scotia announces the
introduction of legislation to establish a two-year, pre-primary pilot
program for four year-olds.

>> Public policy and the participation of rural Nova Scotia women in the
new economy
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82537
Report from Status of Women Canada addresses the kinds of policies rural
women need to facilitate participation in the new economy; cites lack of
child care as a key barrier.

CHILD CARE IN THE NEWS

>> Quebec to get special deal [CA-QC]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82534
Globe and Mail, 28 Oct 05
Ottawa is preparing to sign a special child care deal with Quebec that
would give that province more autonomy over how it spends its share of the
early-learning pie than has been granted to other provinces.

>> Alberta can show the way [CA-AB]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82531
Edmonton Sun, 26 Oct 05
Alberta’s recent addition of more subsidies for low-income families,
funded by the federal Liberals, is a big step in the right direction, but
concerns remain.

>> Day care plan isn't child's play [CA-ON]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82535
Toronto Star, 26 Oct 05
Toronto plans to create almost 5,300 new child care spots over the next
three years. Described as Toronto's most ambitious child care expansion
ever, the $125 million plan will see 1,668 new spots created in existing
locations by next March.

>> Quality counts in child care [CA-AB]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82530
Edmonton Sun, 24 Oct 05
In Alberta the staff turnover rate in child care is nearly 50% annually.
Bill Moore-Kilgannon, with the lobby group Public Interest Alberta, says
it doesn't take much research to realize that kids here aren't getting the
care they could and should be.

>> Low salaries hurting our kids [CA-AB]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82527
Edmonton Sun, 23 Oct 05
As Canada lurches towards a national child care policy, Alberta is dealing
with its own issues: some of the lowest paid workers with the highest
turnover, a surplus of for-profit spaces and lineups for non-profit.

>> Gouging the poor [CA-AB]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82529
Edmonton Sun, 23, Oct 05
Low-income parents who receive provincial child care subsidies are being
gouged by day care centres and critics contend the Alberta government is
doing nothing to stop it.

>> Daycare expert flies in a warning [CA-ON]
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=82533
Toronto Star, 22 Oct 2005
When Australian child care expert Lynne Wannan heard about Canada's plans
to invest $5 billion in child care, she jumped on a plane. The diminutive
Aussie embarked on a three-week mission to warn Canada against allowing
private companies to turn child care into big business.

This message was forwarded through the Childcare Resource
and Research Unit e-mail news notifier. For information on the
CRRU e-mail notifier, including instructions for (un)subscribing,
see http://www.childcarecanada.org

The Childcare Resource and Research Unit
University of Toronto, Canada