SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Gary Bloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:50:46 -0500
Submitted to the Star Thursday night ... awaiting publication (?):

Re: Protecting our social programs, letter, March 16, 2005

Services
Sandra Pupatello shows again how disconnected she is from the realities
of life
for people on social assistance.  She insists on walling herself into a
defensive position when it comes to discussing improvements in our
social safety net.

While she points to the "increases" in support for people living on
social
assistance, she hides behind large, meaningless numbers.  The impact of
these
changes on the real lives of welfare recipients has been negligible.

Her government's "$100 million" rate increase for social assistance
recipients
resulted in less than sixty cents per day in extra income for a single
person
on welfare.  The "$36.5 million" in extra support her government has
allowed
to "stay in the hands" of families translates to another 65 cents a day
for a
single mother with one child.  After inflation, people on welfare are
poorer
now than when the Liberals came into power.  To say this record is
pathetic
would be kind.

It is time Ms. Pupatello emerged from her fortress of numbers and
started
talking about the effects of her policies on real people.  We see the
hard
impact of real poverty in our offices every day.  And it is our clients'
real
stories that drive us to speak out against this government's neglect of
its
most vulnerable constituents.

Gary Bloch, MD, St. Michael's Hospital, and Kathy Hardill, RN(EC),
Regent Park
Community Health Centre.  Both are members of Health Providers Against
Poverty