From:
JM Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:45:46 -0500
Danielle Piette recently asked: Who would be interested by forming a group
discussion about translation?

Such lists likely already exist Danielle. I do not know of an official one
however in the field of health promotion. With the fear sounding overly
self-promoting, I should however let you know that we are working on a
French-English Health Promotion Lexicon which will be made available as a free
online reference tool to anyone looking for quick French-English
equivalents of
a wide range of terms related to health promotion (generally speaking). There
may also be others.

The idea simply came from our Translation Bureau’s extensive experience
providing translation services to our clients over the years. Having developed
several project glossaries on a broad range of topics, it seemed a
shame to not
package all this into a reference tool for the field. Our only problem
has been
controlling its scope as you can imagine and of course dedicating the
necessary
resources to finish it off (though the idea is that it will be a
living, growing
tool, rather than an encyclopedic attempt at providing the final word -
we would
never be so presumptuous). And before anyone asks, yes, we indeed do refer to
many of the usual suspects of sources many of us are undoubtedly aware
of ( for
example, W.H.O.'s Glossary, J. Last's Epidemiological dictionary, a range of
Health Canada materials, etc, etc, etc.)

Enough said and again, apologies if this sounds like a marketing thing. I just
thought given this discussion thread people would be interested. I will
be sure
to post a note when it is officially launched. Reading back my posting I now
realize I just used one of the oldest motivational tricks in the book on
myself: tell people of your ideas as a way to force yourself to actually carry
them out ... !

Best,
JM Dupont
--