SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Theresa Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:02:43 -0500
Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]> on November 13, 2005 at 7:50
PM -0500 wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm looking for examples of programmatic and policy interventions that
>have proved effective in violence prevention and intervention in the
>context of the social determinants of health in urban settings. My
>question is posed in relation to  gun violence in Toronto. Thank you.

>amanuel melles
>Director, Organizational Capacity Building
>United Way of Greater Toronto
>26 Wellington Street East
>Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1W9
>Tel: 416-777 1444 ext. 213
>Fax: 416-777-0962

 I think you may find the following website  and its resources useful
..perhaps you're already using it?

The Aspen Institute Roundtable on Community Change (formerly the
Roundtable on Comprehensive Community Initiatives for Children and
Families)
	Website: [ http://www.aspeninstitute.org
]http://www.aspeninstitute.org	Browse by Program... Roundtable on
Community Change

Comprehensive Community Initiatives (CCIs) are neighbourhood-based efforts
that seek improved outcomes for individuals and families as well as
improvements in neighbourhood conditions by working comprehensively across
social, economic and physical sectors. CCIs operate on the principle that
community building, that is, strengthening institutional capacity at the
neighbourhood level, enhancing social capital and personal networks, and
developing leadership,  is a necessary aspect of the process of
transforming distressed neighbourhoods. Certainly "distressed
neighbourhoods " describe the settings in which Toronto's gun violence is
occuring.

The following publications (all of which can be downloaded from their
website) are particularly relevant must-reads in our search for solutions.

1)	Voices From The Field I: Learning From The Early Work of Comprehensive
Community Initiatives

2)	Voices From The Field II: Reflections on Comprehensive Community Change

3)	Building Knowledge About Community Change

4)	Structural Racism and Community Building

5)	Structural Racism and Youth Development: Issues, Challenges, and
Implications

 Go to Tools for Dismantling Structural Racism... there you will find
among many other publications the Community builders toolkit
Project Change: A Community Builders Toolkit: 15 Tools for Creating
Healthy, Productive Interracial/Multicultural Communities: A Primer for
Revitalizing Democracy from the Ground Up (37pp) - The Community Builders
Toolkit contains 15 elements that this project came to consider to be
their lessons learned after having completed a field study of 14 of the
efforts identified as promising practices by President Bill Clintons
Initiative on Race. As the authors of the toolkit note, ...these are the
minimum essential elements of effective community building. Deal with
these matters, cover these bases...and you are most likely to develop a
solid, healthy, sustainable community-building program.

Theresa Griffin

Institute of Child Study
Ontario Institute for Studies In Education
University of Toronto

Tel. No. 416-934-4541 (W)
Fax No.416-978-6485
Tel. No. 416-536-6627 (H)