Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Barbara Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:43:08 -0400
Dear Hal,
I taught some Tourgee a decade ago (!) and recall, first, that there is a
good
introduction and perhaps a select bibliography in one of the recent
paperback
editions of A Fool's Errand. (There are not many editions.) Also, I think
that
Arlin Turner's biography of George W. Cable may mention Tourgee.(He is
wonderful
on Cable's travels with Twain.) There are also a few articles available.
Tourgee
was in North Carolina after the War (aftah de waw) and made a few enemies
among
the politicians and important people there. MLA may index some of these
articles, but others may be in small journals on North Carolina history or
literature that are not indexed. Check the indexes for the Southern Literary
Journal (out of Chapel Hill--I'm sure Fred Hobson and his predecessors there
have published material on Tourgee--and you might try the UNC "Documenting
the
South" website for information. They have a wonderful collection of material
online and in the library. I wish I could remember specifics--I do recall
that
one of my grad. students did an annotated bibliography on Tourgee back in 94
and
I'll check but I doubt that I have it still.

Best of luck. Tourgee deserves more attention.

Barbara Ladd