From:
"D. Terrell Dempsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:11:48 -0500
I have been fascinated by the discussion regarding a definitive
biography of Clemens.  For the past two years I have been extensively
researching his life from 1839 to 1861, particularly regarding slavery.
I have been gathering original material, not doing a library search of
previous biographies -- which seems to make up the bulk of most work on
Clemens' early life.  I have more than a little sympathy for biographers
who have to attempt to interpret the "reminiscences" Clemens left us.
They are frequently akin to interpreting the oracle of Delphi.
    I have had to struggle repeatedly to interpret what Clemens meant.
For instance, although John Marshall Clemens bought & sold slave
property in every way imaginable, enforced Hannibal's slave code,
whipped slaves at home and ordered a slave whipped as a judge, Clemens
wrote that his father was opposed to slavery.  Dixon Wecter dismissed
the assertion as filial whitewashing -- but I am convinced Clemens meant
it. The colonization movement came in Missouri in 1845, was supported by
the Whigs (Henry Clay was national president for heaven's sake) and the
Marion County chapter organized in 1847.  The movement flourished for
about a year and a half -- until it was finally killed in the backlash
to the abolition movement.
    Similarly, Clemens said that he didn't recall many slave auctions in
Hannibal, but that perhaps he didn't recall them because auctions were
common.  Actually, his memory was right on this one.  The custom was to
hold auctions at the county seat in Palmyra.  There were only a couple
of auctions in Hannibal while Clemens was here.  There were five dealers
buying slaves and shipping them downriver -- but not having auctions.
    On the other hand, I strongly suspect that Clemens'  account of the
sale of the slave Jennie is a load of corn -- oh for the gift of
discernment!
    I won't go on with the litany of ambiguities and hyperbole I've
encountered.  I'm sure you all have encountered as many and more. But I
did want to make this statement: The beauty of Clemens and Twain is the
continuing dialogue and passion he stirs a century-and-a-half after he
ventured out of Hannibal. There is a bounty of material unexplored.  I
suspect and hope there will never be a definitive biography.  In the
meantime, I am certainly tolerant of those who go out on a limb in their
interpretation of Twain.
    Terrell Dempsey