From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:01:30 -0500
Terrell,

I will admit that when I first saw your book, I had a moment of panic, but I
didn't mean to suggest that you "scooped" me on the slavery research; I
simply meant that my research made me appreciate the your attention to
detail, the clarity of your mind and the clarity of your language.  No
regrets.

My own approach to the slavery question involved a more literary angle,
seeking answers to literary critics' historical objections to and
assumptions regarding Jim's character and Twain's portrayal of slavery.  I
continue to  work on developing it beyond the still-awkward dissertation
stage, and your book only makes it stronger--which I appreciate beyond
expression.

I come through Hannibal almost every year on a family road trip, during
which my children indulgently encourage me to lose myself in Twain's boyhood
town.  They find my behavior a hoot, and they love the Mark Twain
campground, a delightful Chinese restaurant in town, the museums and the
Mississippi.  My eight-year-old wants to explore "Jackson's" island and gets
mad because I won't just let her jump in that clear Mississippi mud to swim
across.

I would dearly love to meet you sometime and talk, and I would dearly love
to come to Hannibal for an extended time to research, when life, work and
family permit.  Thank you for the kind invitation.  I hope to take you up on
it.

And I meant what I said, meaning no disrespect to you or to Tom Quirk's
advice or acumen.  We all have limitations, and a wise person recognizes
them and works around them.  Narrowing your focus to reflect your gifts
resulted in a book I will require whenever I teach an upper division or
graduate course on Twain.

And while I don't know you personally, I do know that you were being funny.
My husband has been my nurse too, on occasion, and moms rarely make good
patients.

Sharon