From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:43:58 -0400
While plaudits are being posted for helpful contributions to this
recent imbroglio - which is giving us all an opportunity to learn
something, I submit -  I want to add my appreciation for Tracy
Wuster's most thoughtful and most clarifying paragraphs, saved below.
I think it says almost everything that needed to be said about the
issue of "words as weapons" (for that's what they are, and that's
what we are recognizing here) in this discussion. It's not only that
some words are "offensive," but that they have, indeed - historically
and today -  been used as instruments of dehumanization and as such,
any decent respect for the humanity of others militates against using
them in a casual fashion.  It's a matter of our own sense and
sensibilities, not just sensitivites for others - if that makes any
sense!

My two scents.

Ben