From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 16:34:15 -0700
Please excuse a slight diversion from Mark Twain but this topic was
suggested to me by Mark (see chapters 5 and 6 from Following the
Equator).  Mark Twain was rather annoyed by this fellow but I was
intrigued and I produced a video of Captain Wawn's first voyage as a
"Blackbird" - sailing the South Pacific "recruiting" islanders to work
in the sugar cane fields of Queensland, Australia.

http://bscottholmes.com/content/william-t-wawns-first-voyage-aboard-schooner-stanley

Twain took the side of the missionary but it seems the issue was far
more complex than he was aware of.

Thanks