SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Marlene Rivier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marlene Rivier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:02:08 -0500
Dennis,
I ran in the 2003 Ontario election and the 2004 and 2006 federal elections
for the NDP.  I have seen this as an extension of my antiprivatization work
in health care.  I wanted to share with you my impressions on the eve of the
2004 election:

There is so much I could say about the experience of this campaign but I
think the thing that stays with me the most is the realization in the final
days of the campaign that poverty, though it remains such a pervasive
problem for Canadians especially aboriginal Canadians, received so little
attention.

On my last night of canvassing I visited an apartment building not unlike
those depicted in films and TV shows about inner city America.  I met many
friendly people some of whom worried that this housing would soon no longer
be affordable to them as a new owner was making some improvements.

From the doorway of a dank and dark hallway stripped bare of any adornment I
peered into a warm and cozy apartment, the home of a single middle-aged
woman with two sons one of whom was disabled.  She spoke of the family's
travails with remarkable patience and dignity.  She seemed to have little
expectation that things would improve anytime soon but she seemed prepared
to persist.

I ran into her again later as we left the complex, our final day of
canvassing complete.  She was walking an old dog with one eye sown shut.
She explained that the dog's previous owner no longer wanted him.  She
couldn't let him go to the Humane Society knowing that his prospects would
be poor.  She had to walk him frequently as he had little bladder control.

And I was saddened by the realization that despite the vote that was to take
place the following day it was unlikely that much would be different in her
life.  And I knew that I must not forget her and I thought of Tommy Douglas'
words that I had repeated to myself and to others throughout the campaign.
"Courage my friends, it's not too late to make a better world!"

I wish I had some powerful new insight as to how to get poverty onto the
political agenda but I don't!  The people in power have a very different
conception of what that "better world" looks like!  I am heartened by the
activism and thankful for the wisdom of those who post here and I will carry
on in my own small way.
Marlene Rivier