CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sarena Seifer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 21:19:00 -0800
Dear CANCHID colleagues,

We are delighted to announce that Wellesley Central Health Corporation will be
offering four scholarships valued at $2000 to attend the Community-Campus
Partnerships for Health's 9th Conference - "Walking the Talk: Achieving the
Promise of Authentic Partnerships," May 31-June 3, 2006 in Minneapolis, MN USA.

As per board direction, these scholarships are open to anyone in the Greater
Toronto Area, with priority given to community-based organizations.

To apply for a scholarship please send a letter (via e-mail) detailing a little
about yourself  (organizational affiliation, work experience, future goals),
why you would like to go, what interests you about the conference and how you
feel it would benefit the work that you do.

Submissions are due by Monday, March 20th, 2006.  Applications should
be sent to: [log in to unmask]  and addressed to Sarah Flicker, Director
of Research.

To see all the details about the conference, please visit the CCPH website at
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/conf-overview.html

Partnerships between communities and higher educational institutions as
a strategy for change are gaining recognition and momentum. Service-learning,
community-based participatory research and broad-based
coalitions are among the methods these partnerships pursue to accomplish
their goals. In the last decade alone, funding agencies have invested
over a billion dollars in such partnerships, including more than a dozen
multi-site initiatives that employ community-campus partnerships as a
change strategy. Increasingly, partnerships are being recommended by
national bodies and pursued by funding agencies for achieving a wide
range of significant outcomes, including for example:

     * Eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities
     * Increasing health workforce diversity
     * Increasing access to higher education
     * Increasing access to health care
     * Increasing youth civic engagement
     * Increasing the relevance of research
     * Revitalizing cities
     * Developing rural economies
     * Preparing students in a wide range of disciplines and professions
for practice

With the remarkable expansion of interest and investment in
community-campus partnerships, we believe the time is right to take a
critical look at these partnerships in all of their iterations and ask
(and answer) key questions about where we are now, where we are going
and where we need to be.

How do we fully realize authentic partnerships between communities and
higher educational institutions?
How do we balance power and share resources among partners?
How do we build community and campus capacity to engage each other as
partners?
How do we create healthier communities through partnerships?
What are the barriers and challenges getting in our way?
How do we overcome these, individually and collectively?
How do we translate "principles" and "best practices" into widespread,
expected practice?

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health's 9th conference promises to
address these questions and more as we create a vision for the future of
community-campus partnerships as a strategy for social justice.

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health is a nonprofit organization
that promotes health through partnerships between communities and
higher educational institutions.  Become a member today at www.ccph.info

CCPH is the Higher Education Senior Program Advisor for the Learn and
Serve America National Service-Learning Clearinghouse.  Visit the
Clearinghouse at www.servicelearning.org

Join CCPH for our 9th Conference, May 31-June 3, 2006 in Minneapolis, MN!
Register today for 4 days of skill-building, networking & agenda-setting

Access CANCHID archives at: https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/canchid.html