SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Lela Gary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:22:28 -0400
Hello  all,

I have been interested in the health effects of pollutants in our environment
for a number of years and  have been quite frustrated at the futility of
prevention of diseases. I have been mostly concerned about carcinogenic air
toxics that can be preventable and yet they are not due to our health policies
and political inertia.

I have expressed concerns about the impact of environmental degradation on
public health to the Board of Health on several occasions. Recently I presented
a proposal addressed to 2 MPPs here in Ontario with a letter to the Minister of
Health.  I will enclose this letter for your information and request your help
for your support to carry it through.

This is the first step to initiate at least a public debate on the issue,
at which time anyone who wishes to add provisions they may do so, as long as
the initial step on this proposal is taken, in order to start the ball rolling.

I would appreciate your support by acknowledging the need for change and address
the same MPPs and the Minister of Health referring to this initiative.
Ontario does need  reforms and improvement in  health policy.

Lela  Gary