SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Lela Gary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:29:25 -0400
Hello  all,

You carried on about the Greenparty and disenfranchised poverty.

What about  the Cancer Industry  in partnership with the government that
disenfranchised the  whole society?

Yes, listen up.
We never made polluters pay for the carcinogens they release in our environemnt;
in fact we subsidized them.
The  pharmaceutical industry's profit is too good and plentiful to kill the
goose(cancer) that lays the golden egg for them. Therefore there is no funding
for prevention research, but research only for new medications to sell.

The governemnt that  micromanages and condones the release of toxics in our air,
soil and water and then complains about the economic burden on our health
system... Let alone that the government does not transfer the cost to
polluters.
And all this in convenient secrecy from the public...by not informing us of the
toxics in our air, water, products etc. nor by putting a stop to these
contaminants.  Ah! the ever so ignorant and gullible public that they are
virtually taken for a ride by the very officials elected to protect and act
for the public good!

And lastly, but not least, of the hypocritical health organizations and
institutions, such as the Canadian Cancer Society, The Princess Margaret
Foundation, and the Heart & Stroke foundation that offer  automobiles in their
lotteries when they know  very well of the air pollutants causing cancer,
cardiovascular disease and  premature death. They offer the inane justification
of needing  funding for research...  in other words they create  cancer and
disease to  do research, and it goes without saying, to keep a good  paycheck
for staff and ads.  What's next on their lottery for funding, a case of
cigarettes?

And I ask you now, why isn't any public group such as this one, shouting for
society's sake?
Why are physicians and health care workers preoccupied with treatment instead
of prevention and demand that the Government  shape up and clean its own act?
They can start with Canada Health; it has a lot to be desired.

Lela Gary
http://www.ecopolitics.ca