From:
Erika Khandor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:36:34 -0400
REMINDER: Launch of “Failing the Homeless” report on Barriers to ODSP Access,
June 20th

Ontario disability benefits are failing homeless people with disabilities. The
Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is intended to assist low-income
people with disabilities, but many disabled homeless people are unable to
access this program.

Over the past year and a half Street Health, a community-based health care
organization working with homeless and underhoused people in downtown Toronto,
has been working on a research project exploring the barriers to accessing ODSP
for our clients, while at the same time helping them to secure benefits.

We are excited to announce that we will be launching our research report on
Tuesday, June 20th at 12:30pm at Regent Park Community Health Centre in Toronto.

The report, entitled: “Failing the Homeless: Barriers in the Ontario Disability
Support Program (ODSP) for Homeless People with Disabilities”, identifies key
barriers and delays in the ODSP system for homeless people. It also makes
recommendations for how to improve access to ODSP benefits for homeless people
with disabilities.

Among the many important project findings and outcomes, these are some of the
most staggering:
-100% of study participants were eligible for the ODSP, but 0% were receiving
benefits when they enrolled in the project
-100% of eligible participants NEEDED HELP accessing ODSP benefits
-100% of homeless participants who successfully secured ODSP benefits were ABLE
TO SECURE HOUSING

Please join us on June 20th to hear more about the project’s findings, outcomes
and recommended solutions for increasing ODSP access:

Tuesday, June 20th at 12:30pm
Regent Park Community Health Centre (main lobby)
465 Dundas Street East, Toronto ON (south-east corner of Dundas East and
Parliament)

Following June 20th, the Summary and Full reports will be available on our
website at: www.streethealth.ca.

For additional information about the launch or the report please contact Erika
Khandor at [log in to unmask]

We look forward to seeing you!