SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Graeme Bacque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:15:57 -0400
My concern is with a media which treats even a minor outward curvature
of the abdomen as cause for scorn. Some TV stations  air such material
almost daily. This kind of media is riddled with harsh implicit (and
occasionally quite explicit) value judgments about how individuals live
their lives.

Speaking of myself - I'm forty-eight years old and have a noticeable
outward curvature above my belt. But I also regularly walk, cycle, swim
and I'm in generally good health. My physical dimensions? I'm 5'10" and
weigh about 170 pounds.

 I also feel reasonably comfortable in my body. I'm fortunate in that -
how many people can honestly make the same claim nowadays, regardless of
how much they actually weigh?

Yes, excess weight can prove to be a health hazard for many individuals.
But this media and government-fueled obsession with impossible standards
of physical perfection is probably even more dangerous to the overall
well-being of the body politic through the long run.

What do you think largely accounts for so-called 'eating disotders'? The
social pressure in favor of impossible physical standards is so
pervasive that some people are willing  to attempt to literally starve
themselves into a physical form that maybe one human being in a million
is capable of achieving naturally.

This pressure to conform affects women at a disproportionate rate. I'm
sure many of you have seen the pictures of Karen Carpenter taken shortly
before she died of a heart attack at the age of thirty-two. These images
were of a demon-ridden skeleton - in this case the demon was that of
social intolerance. What else would induce someone to pursue what
amounts to suicide by starvation? While Karen Carpenter was an extreme
example this phenomena is not in itself unusual nowadays.

Because Ms. Carpenter was someone who was very much in the public eye
the social pressure on her was that much stronger. How else can you
account for the proliferation of billboards showing emaciated
'supermodels' draped in the latest fashion accessories? This advertising
material also sets an example that ordinary people are strongly
pressured to adhere to - regardless of the consequences.