SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
David Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 09:51:25 +1000
Hi All,

I am beginning to find the absolutist tone in this debate tendentious. The people who designed the gas chambers and the railway lines were part of a collective that included the guards and killers who did the work too - nice, community people all of them. When aboriginal inhabitants of Australia, Canada and the US were being killed by poisoned wells and blankets and given alcohol, was it the work of blind scientists or community cunning ? On the other hand, when second rate academics developed their theories of social Darwinism to justify such behaviour, was this the work of community people or blind scientists ? When bad people (academics and community members together)do bad stuff, all it proves is that they need each other. When good people (academics and community members together)do good stuff, all it proves is they need each other.

The viewpoint that makes community members on the one hand, or scientists/academics on the other mere placeholders for "social forces", "hierarchies of power" and "cultures of power" is far more inhuman that attempts to establish practical relationships between the two - however naive. If we let our prejudices about power reduce us to placeholders, let's stop all anti-smoking advertisements, cummunity based quit programs and nicotine replacement therapies right now - after all they were prepared by isolated, advertising/social marketing cosmopolitan types, often briefed by academics (certainly that's the case here)usually based on social and other forms of research on hapless citizens. To be a little blunter than Bill, with whom I agree wholeheartedly, repeating cliches about knowledge being power begs the question - so, if it is, then what the hell are you going to do with it, together. Or as Theresa said "The challenge is for all of us, community based or university based, to find the hybrid that carries the best of both worlds". Let's hear it for hybrids.

I am not an academic, by the way

David Young
Sally Birch Fellow in Cancer Control
Cancer Control Research Institute
100 Drummond St
Carlton Vic 3053

Phone:	+61 3 9635 5123
Mobile:   04 1933 5308
Fax:	+61 3 9635 5440
email:	[log in to unmask]

"Relativity is not the relativity of truth, but the truth of relation"; Gille Deleuze, "The Fold: Leibnitz and the Baroque"

Need a break? Get together to defeat cancer
Register now for Australia's Biggest Morning Tea  Thursday 25 May
www.biggestmorningtea.com.au or 1300 65 65 85