SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Martha Livingston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:50:20 -0700
Dear All,

Having been at home in New York when the World Trade Center was
pulverized, I can attest to a great sense of social cohesion during
times of stress that doesn't exist in our lives on a daily basis.
New Yorkers speak almost fondly of times of crisis because we so long
for a sense of community.  During our occasional blackouts, there is
enormous community feeling:  last time, in '03, for example, in the
middle of the summer, shopkeepers in some neighborhoods set up
barbecues and fed folks free because their meat was going to spoil
anyway.  It was a giant, if dark, block party!

The Brits are like this too; witness the fond memories of WWII,
blitz, etc.  But it's not really typical of daily life in the U.K.
today, especially in the cities.

Peace,

Martha

--
Martha Livingston, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Health and Society

"I don't believe in charity.  I believe in solidarity.  Charity is so
vertical.  It goes from the top to the bottom.  Solidarity is
horizontal.  It respects the other person.  I have a lot to learn
from other people."

- Eduardo Galeano