SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Thompson, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:14:17 -0500
Hello all,
As someone who works in poor neighborhoods, I find the comments below
confusing.  Some of my ancestors were poor- their whole lives.  But I
definitely don't get the impression that anyone thought they chose
poverty.  Even when they may have fallen into the traps poverty sets and
exacerbates- like drinking and smoking and eating poorly.  They may have
had trouble getting work or having decent housing- but no one thought
they deserved this..  I see my ancestors in the work I do everyday.
Human beings living in resource poor environments can easily be wounded
in the process.  In fact, its resources that generally protect us from
being wounded.

Would we take the argument below the other way?  Say, the rich who
"misbehave"- should we allow them to retain all of the wealth that has
been accumulated and ennable them?  Arguably they make choices too.  Why
should property law support their ways any more then public welfare
supports poor folks.  At least the poor folks can make the case that
being poor- having few resources- increases their vulnerability to the
hard things that happen to people...

Ken Thompson
Pittsburgh