SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:06:18 -0800
Regardless of what types of research from which disciplines, the biggest
problem that I see is translating research results into something
meaningful to the community at large.  This will of course involve
communication strategies and far more "down to earth" disseminations
than journal publications.

Here is a site on Strategic Frame Analysis that I see is absolutely
needed:
Frame Works Institute
http://www.frameworksinstitute.org/index.shtml

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/25/06 7:47 AM >>>
Social Science & Medicine 64 (2007) 248?258

Developing, integrating, and perpetuating new ways of applying sociology

to health, medicine, policy, and everyday life
Jeffrey Michael Clair, Cullen Clark, Brian P. Hinote, Caroline O.
Robinson, Jason A. Wasserman
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA

Abstract
As a framework for presenting ideas on developing ways to make sociology

more applicable, we focus on the recent state
of medical sociology research. Data for this paper were generated
through
a content analysis of a twelve-year period
(1993?2004) of the Journal of Health and Social Behavior (JHSB) and
Social
Science & Medicine (SSM). The analysis
aims to determine if the content of JHSB and SSM reflect the breadth of
the sub-discipline of medical sociology as well as
the stated goals of the journals. The selected issues of JHSB and SSM
were
coded on the basis of the following attributes:
(1) Primary Substantive Topic, (2) Methodology, (3) Data Type and
Analytic
Technique, and (4) Research and Policy
Recommendations. We found that the orientation of JHSB articles was
towards generating research and theory that shy
away from policy, interdisciplinary approaches, and applied issues. SSM
content tends to display more interdisciplinary
breadth and variety, but also reflects a dearth of applied
recommendations. Our discussion focuses on what JHSB and
SSM could be. We present ideas on how the sociological discipline in
general?and JHSB and SSM in particular?can
help generate and nourish new forms of inquiry that can impact the way
research questions are framed. We conclude that
such a shift is needed in order to maximize the applicability of social
scientific evidence to everyday life, and we share
examples situated within a socio-medical context, where there is a
particular need for the application of social evidence to
practice.

Interdisciplinary; Policy; Social science & medicine; Journal of health
and social
behavior

the subject header --  to [log in to unmask]

SIGNOFF SDOH

DO NOT SEND IT BY HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON. THIS SENDS THE MESSAGE TO
THE ENTIRE LISTSERV AND STILL DOES NOT REMOVE YOU.

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header.

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
SET SDOH DIGEST

To view the SDOH archives, go to:
https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html